Thursday 13 May 2010

Vintage stitchery, a bit of Cath and a helping of kindness!

Hello you lovelies!

How is life treating you all... very well I hope!

I love this time of the year, don't you? All changes.... buds bursting forth and gardens and widlife springing to life. You just can't help but to feel brighter on a spring day pregnant with hope and promise! That is the spring day being pregnant... not me! Now that would be a blooming miracle!!!!




This is one of my cross stitch designs ... my take on spring, and my own verse too I may add. Yes I know, I will never make it as a poet! Ha ha ha!

Even the country is standing at the starting line of new beginnings, changes are afoot, and no matter what our individual views on it all are, it is a very interesting time to come. A little scary perhaps, and unsure, but this last week has been a historical one in politics! I am finding all a little scary I must say! I wait with baited breath to see the future unfold..... People have been getting bees in their bonnets about it all, and we will wait and see now what is to come!

One of my stitchery designs... Think I may have put this one on before, so sorry if I have! Losing track!

I seem to have been drifting away from stitching lately and filling my blog with my drawing. There is good reason for this of course, and that is that all my stitcheries originate from my drawings and paintings, so they are close cousins!  So here are some charity shop finds for all you lovers of vintage stitching! These are not my designs, I found them in my local CS s.

Lovely spring inspiring beauties.....



I love this one, it is a table cloth, but it is badly marked in places, so it may be a job for the scissors maybe!I quite fancy using the pieces in a patchwork quilt for the bed , maybe!

I was rooting about upstairs trying to find something, when I heard some giggling coming from a box in the cupboard. Guess what? It was these two impish little girls and their cat who have been stuffed in a box in a very undignified way since we moved. I had forgotten all about my attempts at making ragdolls!

 
 

 

The top girlie has been embellished with some of my stitchery and my handmade buttons!
While I am still in the sewing theme... I am thinking of making a throw for a very tatty embarassing chair out of these fabrics and some embroidery... what do you think hey?



Ok! I can hear you! "Where is the Cath Kidston bit?".....  Oh ok! Here it is. I spotted this tote on the front of a magazine a week or two ago. My eyes nearly stood out on stalks! I actually let out a little squeal of delight right there in the middle of a crowded supermarket, much to poor George's despair! A free, yes FREE Cath Kidston tote bag! Straight to the till with that!




So cheerful, it brightens up my hallway! Off to the shops I will go! 

Before I go again, I must tell you all about a parcel that landed on my porch floor on wednesday. My lovely friend Jen at Themadhouse sent me these lovely gifts. I sometimes just can not get over the kindness of you wonderful peeps! Jen thank you soooooo much! I really must get my finger out to repay these kindnesses, as I have had a few so far, and I am going to see to it that I give some kindness back! You know who you are! So! Thank you so much Jen, you are a very kind and special person! 




A beautiful pin cushion, such a lovely fabric and a little label which says sewing! A very interesting book, which I just know I will love! Also a lovely thoughtful note, which I have partly covered to hide the address, of course!

Right then folks! Cheery bye for another week. I am off to water my seedlings and veggies now!  
Suzie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)



30 comments:

  1. New life, new hope, yes that is what spring is all about to me too. It is a time of the year, for hope and renewal and a peak of the joy of summer. I love your stitchery and also your drawings, you are such a talented lady Suzie and I am honored to call you a friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am honored to call you a friend. I love everything you do artistically, such a clever dick! Hows your arms? xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My arm is still fat! Clubbing it! Ha ha! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beautiful embroidery you sew always makes me want to try! I saw a lot of hoops at the thrift store, I think I will get one! Love your new tote...perfect! And the dolls! OH MY! I love them! They are so sweet! ♥♥♥ And what a nice thoughtful gift! We all love surprises! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bee in your bonnet picture, fantastic :) Spring is one of my favourite times of year, just wish it would warm up a tad & stop raining :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've both recieved such kindness from other bloggers this week, haven't we? It's great to compare your embroideries to the vintage ones - the styles develop and change over time and aren't frozen in an attempt to copy the past - that's one of the wonderful things about you stitching your own designs! Have a great weekend, Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic blog! I love all embroidery, I think it is because I know how much work and attention goes into it.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stitching- I see now why your blog is called itch to stitch- I so wish I could sew. I am also pinching another great idea from you- whole days are disappearing in front of the computer and I feel that there are so many other things I want to be doing (that and my bum is getting bigger by the day!)- so I made a resolution to just blog once a week so that I will actually have something to say. Good plan eh? Oh it was your idea of course you think its a good plan. A free what? Which magazine? It's okay I'll find it... must dash I have some important free b- magazine buying to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog always shines! I love all your work and glad you showed us your lovely dollys. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Suzie,

    Your stitchery is so beautiful!! and I love the second rag doll. She is a beauty!
    Hope you have a fantastic weekend, my dear friend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think all this political 'shenanigans' is quite exciting, you know the old saying 'a change is as good as a rest', I have been watching with interest, which is surprising as I am not a particularly political person. Love your Raggy Dolls I have two sitting in my fabric cupboard that need finishing I might just have to get them out now as you have inspired me. We get a lot of magazines in our office and the said mag with Cath Kidston bag arrived here too, unfortunatly my boss liked it so I couldn't get my 'mitts' on it but 'ho hum' never mind. I am off to a new vintage clothes shop in St Albans tomorrow with my stressed out daughter Naomi( she is revising for her A levels)to try and take her mind of her exams for a couple of hours really looking forward to it.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Nicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Suzie,

    Yes it has been a political mad house in this country over the past week. Its scary but then change always is I think.

    Love your stitcheries, and your rag dolls too. They are some of the first thing I made when I was venturing back into the world of sewing. I really enjoy making them. Yours are gorgeous!

    Thank you as ever for your lovely comments on my blog. I really appreicate them.

    Have a fun filled sunshine packed weekend.


    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post as always. You sound so cheerful and happy. I liked the second embroidery you found in the charity shop as the stems remnd me of coral which I'm having a little phase on at the moment! All of your pictures are a delight!

    Have a lovely weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like your stitcheries very pretty. I squeaked in the supermarket when I saw that mag too :o) xxx Pixie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I LURVE your stitcheries, they are both so gorgeous. Bees are one of my favourite things :)

    I think my Mum has bought me one of the magazines with a CK bag, what a bargain!

    There's a giveaway on my blog if you fancy it by the way :)

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. those two giggling girlies are gorgeous ! Do make the throw - the fabric looks pretty.
    I've seen those CK bags all over blogland ! Not seen any in the shops but then, I haven't looked ! Try to avoid magazines.
    Hope you have a great weekend - the weeks seem to fly past these daysxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi dear Suzie, this is a lovely post!! So hopeful!!! I love your beautiful stitcheries!! You are so clever!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi hun! Your stitching stuff is lovely - I particularly like the 'Bee in a bonnet' - as soon as I saw it I thought, 'Oooo, a spaceship'!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Suzie, I wish you could have come to the tea party too. You are all invited via the pics on my blog!!!Thank you for your lovely comments. I think the patchwork curtain is my raggy shabby quilt which I have hung on the wall as a wall hanging.
    We've been following your political horse trading here in NZ with great interest. When we had out first MMP election in 96, similar bees in bonnets were had, but it has actually evolved into a system that works pretty well for us, the whole co-alition thing. Not that I voted for it mind!!!But I am rubbish at picking trends! It took our lot 9 weeks to form a government the first time though, so you guys have done exceedingly well. But I think your characters were much more main stream and "conservative" in the pure sense of the word, (rather than the political), than our lot tend to be.It really means that politics becomes a lot less boring as a spectator sport.
    Love all your new things Suzie, and just found your blog about all your CK stuff. Fab! Could spend a whole week just reading your old postings!!!Do make that cover! Am still trying to find the stitching graph paper in shops. No luck, will have to try on line. Love the CK bag from the book! I saw that book in the book shop, ummed and arred for a day, cos I didn't really need the patterns, just covetted the bag so much, but it was gone! Serve me right!!
    It's your stitching I'm after too, not your spelling !!!Neva mind the splling eh..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Suzy sounds as if you've had quite a week. These weekends come faster and faster. The dollies are adorable, and don't quit making them! Beautiful stitchery as usual and all you do actually makes me smile and feel happy. And now you've inspired me to go out and do a bit of watering myself. I've been waiting on the rain far too long. Hugs my little friend, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Suzie, Suzie, Suzie you crack me up-spring is a time for miracles-but there is a limit...(I can say that because we are roughly in the same age group!)
    I love shopping for vintage things too-your pieces of stitchery are wonderful finds-but then so are all the things you create with your own two precious hands!
    I love Cath Kidston too, and I have one of her decorating books-very inspiring!
    Have a peachy weekend!
    Love, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am always happy when I come to visit you here, Suzie. Thank you for sharing all your lovely embroidery work. It's really lovely. And many congratulations on your wonderful gift! Spring really is a time for renewal and growth...hope and opportunity. I wish it in abundance for us all! Enjoy your weekend!!! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suzie,
    I love those top Spring stitcheries. We're in opposites to eachother, as we're now in Autumn. The colours are pretty and, being Melbourne, well it's not tooo cold. I have some camelias ready to bloom wich is lovely.
    Love your new tote - it's always Spring for that Cath Kidson!
    I popped over to your facebook page tonight to request you as a friend. I ocassionally wonder over to facebook.
    Have a lovely weekend, bye. Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your stiches are just do sweet and fun...love them. But gosh, seeing a free Cath bag makes me want to hop on a plane just to get one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. 28, 29, 30...Here I come, ready or not! Visions of playing hide n seek with you keep my feet dancing. I am dancing down the street tomorrow to the post office to send your Gnome package AHOY! Your tag is on it's way and should arrive safely in your postbox any moment!

    I'm so happy you finally let the rag dolls out my dear. I heard a elf screaming from my closet last week and let him out...He refused to be stuffed in the Christmas closet.

    Oh what fun Suzie and I have in our merry land of fun.
    Keeping you happy is my business!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The stitchery is beautiful!! I am crazy for Cath Kidston too & have a couple of her books!!
    Have a great week!!
    Love,
    Marilyn
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog - I found a fab vintage tablecloth at our local car boot on Sunday - too nice to cut up, I think. Your own pics are lovely and that blue fabric will be gorgeous on a chair I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, haven't stopped by for a while, but as usual your post made me smile...I won't stay away so long next time! Love the bee in the bonnet embroidery! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Kirsty and everyone, nice to see you all here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Suzie!! I'd have loved to be in that supermarket! Ha ha! Hope all is well with you, George and your cute doggies! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)