Friday 2 October 2009

Fairy wings, bubble gum melon and cock-eyed optimists!

Happy October everybody! Hope you all had a lovely week? Now, let me ask you all a question! Do you believe in fairies?




The Fairy Godmother from the Wizard of Oz. Picture sourced from the internet.


When I was a child  I believed in fairies (hmmm, maybe I still do!) I mentioned in another post, how I used to lie in bed, with my eyes slightly open, feigning sleep, hoping to fool the little flittery creatures into believing I was asleep. They would think it was safe you see, to fly about my bedroom sprinkling their magic fairy dust, and I would at last see them!
I am afraid to say that too much of my time was spent on otherworldy pre-occupations, so much so, that my report card from school would repeat again and again, that I would do so much better if I would only stop daydreaming quite so much! My little mind was full of magic toadstools, fairies and goblins. Perhaps I read too many Enid Blyton books! Also, I would doodle and draw, so yet again I was carried away from the real world into the world of my imagination.


Now who wouldn't want to go here? Sourced from the internet.

When we lived in Canada the first time, I became a brownie. Like all brownies I had to become a fully fledged one, and attend a becoming a true brownie ceremony. We prepared for weeks for the big night, and we were all told in no uncertain terms that on no condition were we to look, not even peek, behind the curtain up on the stage. Only on the night would we see what was behind the curtain. Well, my imagination set in, I was so excited! Of course, there would be red spotted toadstools, goblins, fairies, magical creatures busily going about their day, fairy godmothers who would give magical powers and gifts. And maybe, oooh, maybe even an enchanted tree!



My little toadstool fairy cross stitch design.

As the day approached I got more and more excited, such wonderful and exciting surprises were being promised from behind that curtain. Who would have believed that behind that boring, ordinary looking curtain there were such delights!  And, weren't they all being so quiet, so good!
The night before the magical day I could hardly sleep at all,  almost beside myself with excitement.
At last the night of the ceremony arrived. Obviously as soon as we new brownies  had made our oaths it would trigger off some kind of magic. We each in turn said the words that had so painstakingly been learnt over the last few weeks, and then it was time for the curtain to be opened. I stood with baited breath. The curtain inched open, bit by bit, I could just make out some shadows in the semi- darkness of the stage, but no sparkly lights or glittery fairy dust yet.  I watched intently. The curtain pulled open some more.......and I saw...........I saw........... an owl.........and what is that? .......a toadstool? yes! ..........No, wait a minute.........What did I see?  ............ A plastic owl leaning precariously to the side, stuck onto a plastic toadstool by a wire! Where was the magic? Where were the fairies?  I felt very disappointed indeed!





  My brother and I, in Canada, taking our uniforms very seriously!


Did my first early disappointment in life change my belief and sense of wonder?  Nah!  Of course not!

 I beleive that as adults we still have a part ( a big part) of the child we were still in us. When I was in hospital and I was vunerable and frightened, I had a dream one night, a beautiful dream. A child from way off in the distance, came skipping towards me, playful and full of energy. I watched her approach, I wondered who this innocent little girl was. Did I know her? She came right up to me smiling and took both my hands in hers and gently pulled me towards her. She told me to go with her and play. As I rose to my feet I wondered once again who was this child, she looked familiar. And then it struck me......it was me! The child that I was, the child who was made of  innocence, belief and trust,  had come to look after me in my hour of need, to comfort me and make me feel better! We ran to the forest of my childhood and played, running free through the trees, happy and safe. It was such a magical dream, and felt so real, just imagine playing with your own child-self!


Yes I know! After last weeks blog, showing me in my sunday best.. this is what I looked like the rest of the time, I loved climbing trees and running free, and usually, when Mum wasn't looking, with no shoes on!

Everytime after that dream , if I was facing something to dread, like a scan or a test, I would go back to the forest in my mind, and daydream again like a child! It really helped me, and it was good to be somewhere beautiful, when you are actually not! That dream has also helped me to remember, that no matter what happens to me in life, that little girl can not be taken away, that there is always that place to go to, untouched by this life, my safe haven.

Anyway, the fact that there was nothing to see behind that curtain, did not put a stop to my beliefs, I still believed with all my heart, that somewhere, somehow I would find  that Magical Kingdom!


This video is just lovely!


I still laid in bed at night waiting to peek at the fairies. I still sat each day at school yawning and gazing out of the window daydreaming! That is probably why my brother nicknamed me raccoon features, because of the dark rings under my eyes! Brothers are great.  By the way, I still look like a raccoon!

You see, I guess I have never quite grown up. I did promise myself when I was ten years old that I would never change, I would be like Peter Pan! I stood near to where I lived in Nova Scotia, and I said out loud, from this day on, I will never change!  To a large extent I think I have been faithful to that promise to myself!  I am not by any means a Pollyanna, I know by experience that life is not always a bowl of cherries, but I am a cock-eyed optimist!



I love this song, I have been singing it to myself for years! Hee hee, I think I will try this in the garden!


I have learnt that true magic comes from deep within ourselves. It has been there all the time. There is no need for proof. Although, having said that, I wouldnt half mind seeing a fairy!

“Every time you say you don’t believe in fairies, a fairy dies.” – Peter Pan

Finally, Here is where I am up to this week with my Christmas stocking!



Coming along nicely I think, I hope!  Click on it , if you wish a more detailed view!

Also, have a look at this! Ok, its not a huge yield, but I am pleased!  The melon was gorgeous, it actually tasted like bubble gum! We only managed to grow one, very small  marrow, and before you, think "gosh is that the pumpkin she keeps mentioning?" NO! it is certainly not!  It is a very small squash of some sort! Pumpkin is still waiting in the garden for his big Halloween debut!




Well thats all for another week,  a week that has been a sad one in the news with the earthquake in Sumatra / Samoa.  So so sad. It certainly makes me realise how lucky I am, safe at home, cup of tea in hand and happily sewing away.


I wish you all a lovely weekend and look forward to catching up with all your wonderful posts!

So until next Friday, Listen out for tiny bells, because everytime you hear a bell, a fairy gets it's wings!

Love to you all, Suzie. xxx :)


46 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie. Loving your embroidery and stocking very much you clever girl!! Those faraway tree books are my all-time favs. My girls also love them and also the videos now. Gosh I wished they were true! We used to have fairies in our garden at the last house. They wrote many letters to our girls. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie, beautiful post. I am pleased to tell you that I am a fairy, or rather I was once! I still have fairy lapses from time to time which involves singing in the woods, usually carols in July at the top of my voice!
    I love all things toadstooly and early morning dew drops and crystal twinkly spiders webs..... oh and everything :D Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your dream, my skin went "Chicken"! ;O) I have dreams that I carry with me too, that were so "real" and "meaningful" that they became part of my life, just as any other past experience.

    I don't believe in Fairies but I somehow believe in magic and the fact that some things just can't be explained.

    Have a lovely weekend Suzie darling! ;O)

    (The Christmas stocking is gorgeous!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of Course I Believe in Faeries! Doesn't everyone? I do like your embroidery and cross-stitching.
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love,love, loving that stocking stitchery. So beautiful.

    I have always believed in magic. Maybe not the twinkle and sprinkle of fairy dust (although why not?). But magic non the less. It would be so boring a world feeling that this life we live is the only surface. Mind saying that about fairies I do have a few in my collection. I love the idea of them they are so beautiful.

    I too have had dreams that have felt so real. Unfortunately they have not always been nice!

    Another great post.



    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzie, You're a great story-teller. I used to tell my daughter that the fairies made her bed. Her eyes would light up and she'd go and have a look. She talks about it now with a little laugh - now that she's all grown up and 11!
    Beautiful stocking!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Suzie, I do look forward to your Friday post :)

    I tell Seth there are fairies living in our local wood at Scorton. I tell him they wear flowers as hats. The poor kid spends ages looking for 'fairy doors' in the trees and I love to watch him knock! "They must be out to tea" I tell him when there's no answer.

    I like to get as much magic in as possible while his mind is still open to it; it's a wonderful part of childhood and if we find it in our youth, we always carry a little in our hearts as we age. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzie, thank you for the lovely birthday greetings. I DO love faeries and owls. Both are beautiful and wise! When I go hiking, I enjoy looking for natural little faerie houses in the woods...I took a photo one time of these gloriously green leaves and I swear I could see a little smiling faerie face imprinted on one of them. I kid you not! It's one of my favorite photos. It is fun and soul-soothing to believe...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes yes i believe in fairies!!! love this post.
    i'm sorry i didn't get your giveaway goodies sent of this week, promise i'll send them next week xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Suzie, you are a doll in your child hood picture with your brother. My my goodness these designs you make I love cross stitching haven't been able to do it in a while I have bad carpel tunnel and my hands do not want to hold a needle for long. Wow that stocking is so darling and the intricate details must have took hours. The end result is so lovely. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Thank you for your visit and your continued prayers and support. Bless you.

    Hugs,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. forgot to say - love the stocking!! would you consider selling a completed one?! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable post, I love your wonderful embroidery, Ohooo to be so clever, I can dream ;)

    Well I know it isn't me who leaves money under my daughter's pillow when she has a tooth fallen out ;)

    Have a lovely weekend

    hugs

    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi little fairy, thank you so much for your always lovely comments! Your stitches are fantastic! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everybody! Sarah, Fairies in your garden! Lucky you! Sarah-Jane, you made me giggle, and a good giggle is always welcome here! Pixie wild child, you believe in magic, but you just had to with a name like that. I love your name! K C's Court, I like you just for believing! Mummy Boo Bear, You are so right, there is much underneath the surface! Little Eve, I loved your bed making fairies ! Lucy I think your story of Seth knocking on the trees in the woods! Scorton, Its so close, I havent been there for a while though!
    Theresa your story of the fairy smiling face! So glad that Lissy Lou believes too ! Heidi, I am sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel syndrome, and Thank you for you kind spirit! Mary Poppins, you are talented, you all are! And I know the tooth fairy is real!
    Thank you Michela, I love your fairy creations! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops. I meant to say Lucy, I think that your story of Seth knocking on trees Is wonderful! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course I believe in fairies and so should everyone else, what is wrong with a bit of magic? The xmas stocking is so beautiful, I wish that I could come up with ideas like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. im loving your posts they make me think of childhood, i think there is a little playful fairy in all of us! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. suzie, i love your Christmas stocking! So very cute!

    love your owls, too:)

    xoxo, jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Christmas sock is adorable....but I am smitten with the photo of you and your brother! Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I am enjoying this weeks blog very much! You know I love fairies and definitely believe even if I don't see. I think if you forget to believe in things you can't see you become one of those crotchety old farts like Scrooge and live miserably until you find your inner child again. Thank you so much for sharing with us, Suzie!
    By the way, LOVE the stocking! What a lucky person this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Of course I still believe in fairies… esp the tooth fairy at the moment as I’m having a tooth taken out next week and will be leaving it under my pillow!

    Isn’t Tinkerbell a wonderful film. I brought it for my friends little girl and naughtily watched it before I gave it to her!

    Have a great weekend

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Suzie,
    You must get yourself a copy of Lady Cottington’s Pressed Fairy Book, you will love it. The Christmas stocking is looking lovely, can’t wait to see how it turns out.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favourite fairies have always been the Flower Fairies - so very believable.

    I understand what you mean about the strength of childlike hope, optimism and trust. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    I also liked your comment about Laurel and Hardy on my Catinou and Jacouti post - apparantly they were very much like an Occitan L & H! Clever you...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed your story about the little girl being you as you were facing such difficult circumstances. You are ageless my dear. You have such childlike beauty, it's absolutely priceless. I'm so glad you somehow retained this part of yourself and so richly share it with me and others. It helps me find that part in me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely post Suzie. Oh, I loved reading the Magic Faraway Tree when I was little! And that Christmas stocking is absolutely gorgeous.

    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  26. The stocking looks lovely Suzie. Thank you for your recent visit and comment.I think we owe children little touches of magic, and how fortunate are we if it stays with us our whole lives.xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Brownie story made me think of my own Girl Scout ceremony in the States. It was just barely dusk with just a hint of warm California sundowner breeze. We were all clustered near the "magic pond," which was really a piece of mirror nestled in the grass. For once, all of us were quiet. One by one, we walked up to the circle and twirled slowly around in preparation for seeing the magic. The words are still with me decades later: "Twist me and turn me and show me the elf. I looked in the pool and saw ... myself." For just an instant, it wasn't a piece of mirror; it was a pond where I saw the magic within. Thanks for sparking the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Suzie,

    What a wonderful post! Rianna is so much a fairy lover, I get asked so many questions about them at the moment lol

    The embroidery on your stocking is lovely!

    Hope you have had a fab weekend :-)

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi girlfriend, Yep I do, I do, I do believe! I always dreamed as a wee little girl child to having my own special little pixi or fairie. In fact, you have given me the idea of what to post about next week! I have the most beautiful and delightful books (3 volumns) with awesome enchanting illustrations and you will love seeing them. Coming tomorrow! Loved your sweet story. Just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh Suzy, that stocking you are working on is divine!
    Have a good week,
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely post, and I too love to daydream... When I am out and about in the woods walking the dog I always look out for that little hollow in the tree and wonder about the fairies that live there.

    I often dream of riding a beautiful black Fressian horse (like the horse that Rutger Hauer rode in Ladyhawke)and the motion of the galloping horse frees my mind so that I can slip into a wonderful sleep...

    Your stitching is coming along beautiful I adore your fairies...

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello again - thanks so much for your comments on my Advent post - not 'waffle' at all, but very much what I want to learn from people!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway!
    Good Luck!
    Artful Blessings,
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Suzie, Thanks for the kind comment on my blog! I've just brought a a rotary cuttter but I've just had to buy some new blades as I've already worn it out! Loving the stocking x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well, I don't want to say something to hurt or kill a Fairy! I sometimes call Fluffy "Tinkerbell", whenever I hear his cat bell ring :) I'd be happy to keep his cat collar on, as long as many more fairies get their wings :D

    Thank you for your kind words on my blog posts!
    -Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh how lovely! I've haven't come across so many fairies as I have today, since childhood.
    I adore your watercolors and the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful Christmas stocking! Your designs are super cute. YOU HAVE WON AN AWARD! Come get it here: http://mrsratlady.blogspot.com/2009/10/over-top-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed your words and the videos, and will share this post with Peggy and with my other English friend, Michelle at All Consuming.

    You were awfully cute, and your brother had a cool hat. Scouts here in the U.S. didn't get those when I was a boy, and I don't know that they ever did.

    I am afraid I have changed. For example, I was utterly convinced that I would never grow old, never die, and that my life had a divinely ordained purpose. I even thought that maybe I WAS God. My reasoning was as follows: I couldn't imagine that anything could ever exist for the briefest moment if I were not present, so this had to mean that I was magically creating my environment as I went along, and that it was likewise going out of existence after I had passed by.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Suzie
    What a lovely post! Just wanted to thank you for commenting on my vintage caravan, so pleased you liked it! I LOVE it too!
    Thanks
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Suzie,

    Hope you are having a great week!

    I have an award for you on my blog. Hope you dont mind.


    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  41. You know how when you stand up too fast and see those little glittery lights in front of your eyes? (Or is it just me!) When I was a kid I called those my "fairy friends." I still think of that now every time I stand up too fast:)
    May we never grow up and never stop believing-life without magic would be very sad indeed.
    Love your current stitching-your work makes this old world all the more beautiful!
    Valerie XO

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for your lovely comments. Sorry to hear you've been feeling a bit under the weather.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Suzie, thank you so much for stopping by to pray for Amy today, our family really appreciates all the prayers.

    Have a great evening.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  44. oh what a lovely post, with Tinks as a nicname, yes I guess I believe!!!

    Love the owls.....

    ReplyDelete
  45. I believe in Faaries . I believe in Faeries . I believe in Faeries .

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, this blog is really amazing!!! it catched my attention since the first time that i saw it and i must to say i spend a great time reading, because i usually like to discover new things. Really nice blog. I Love melon because it is a fruit that nourishes and hydrates the skin. So if you want to see the best benefits is better to consume frequently.
    the melon is a great alternative when you are doing diet, because melon can help you to get the weight that you want.



    buy viagra

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)