Thursday 27 May 2010

The Twenties, Flappers and bedknobs and broomsticks!

Good day to you all!

I hope you have all had the lovely weather we have been having here in Lancashire, although some of it was  sooo hot, It rendered me quite useless at times!

 I just adore this print of an illustration by Charles Robinson... Indian Summer.

I love the 1920's , absolutely adore the furniture, fashions, dances, haircuts... everything about the roaring 20's brings a smile to my simple face!

George and I live in a 1920's home - it was built in 1923, and luckily still holds many of it's original features.





Oh doodle of mine....

A number of years ago I treated myself, or should I say my Mum treated me to this coat. I spotted it in a local shop and thought it had a certain 20's air about it. I just fell head over heels with it! It still looks just as good as it did back then, shame I can't say the same for me!!!


What do you think? (please note, it has artificial fur!) I adore it, and when George nearly passed out at how much it was, I reminded him, that I would wear it forever, and when I come to the end of my road, hey, he can bury me in it too!  It is not at all trendy, it is timeless, so it will see me out! The drawing above is based on it.

I have popped this video on again for all you flappers out there!




Talking of clothes, we are going to a christening this Sunday and so I have been throwing my outfit together ( literally!)...Here is the recipe.....

Take one old long skirt and  ruthlessly take a pair of scissors to it....



One plain long jacket ....



Several wooden and coconut buttons....



The final result.....


 Sorry for the poor quality, it is hard trying to take your own photo! The first pic shows the colours much better!

Well, I think it looks ok.....Or have I lost my marbles completely???!!! Too late! That's what I shall be wearing, rain or shine, good or bad!

This week I would like to thank the very lovely Mrs. P For this award! Thank you so, so much for thinking of me! Please go and pay her a visit, If you already haven't.. she has a very interesting blog, and is such a sweetie!
Now, I am to tell you 10 things about myself  ( I don't think I can think of anything else, not anything that I can tell anyway... Blush!) and 5 things I just don't like!  So here we go!

1. I can't swim... yup, just flail about and then sink.
2. I once did an Open University course in Social welfare (or something like that!) I love writing essays!
3. I loathed and detested school.
4. I have bent little fingers.
5. As a child I was a tom-boy and girlie, depending on how I felt at the time. Up a tree one minute and gazing at my shiny shoes the next. I am still the same! I can be dressed beautifully one minute and like a scruff the next! A bit like my musical tastes, all the extremes and the bits in the middle too.
6. I am still 10! (In my head anyway!)
7. I believe in spirits, ghosts and all things unseen.
8. And she shall have music wherever she goes, I have 6 stereos.
9. I am useless at all sports.
10. The words economy and anatomy very often get said as economonomy and anatomonomy... I find it hard to say them!

Five things I dislike immensely.....

1. Rudeness and bad manners.
2, Bigotry, ignorance, predjudice and closed-mindedness.
3. Lack of humour and unfriendliness.
4. Injustice
and   drumroll here......
5. Porridge.

I am so excited this week, as the Sroka household  has had a delivery! I have wanted one for a long time, and the price was slashed, and we really need one as the one we have is about 12 years old now. Also as I said to George, this will see us out, we won't ever need to buy another (now, where have we heard this before, hmmmmm!!!)

Tis this bed....


This is the pic on the Laura Ashley site, as we haven't got it put together, or even in the bedroom as yet, ... we need to decorate the bedroom first!

I can not wait to snuggle up in my new cosy bed, and hopefully get some much needed sleep too! Like Bedknobs and Broomsticks, I hope to be engaged in many exciting adventures in Dreamland! Oh and enjoy my early morning pots of tea too!

Anyway peeps! I hope you all enjoy a jolly good weekend!

Lots of love to all of you!  Suie Juan tit! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)))) Tryed to keep it shorter! You don't know how hard it was! Did I fail? Duh yeah... miserably!  I kept adding to it...sorry!  He he! x

39 comments:

  1. Oh I love the outfit you threw together! I wish I had your talents and eye for things.

    Is the stained glass one of your windows? I've always loved it but never have had any myself. At one point I actually thought about learning to do stained glass but then realized with my gracefulness I probably would end up without some fingers or something instead. :)

    Happy Weekend to you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't swim either, and I absolutely Love that coat!!!
    The twenties were such a wonderful era for architecture. I'm sure your house is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit, wonderful coat, funny juan tit! You're just an old flapper like me! I like & dislike everything on your list....except I quite like porridge. I hope you have lots of happy 'adventures' on your new bed...try not to wear out Georges bedknob! xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'll give you an award for your super duper creativity! Way to go Suzie!!! Your made a fab little outfit with those alterations. Love all the pretty buttons too.

    I say, I love that bed of yours? Isn't it just wonderful. You are sure to have the bestest dreams in such a gorgeous bed. Can't wait to see it all up and dressed.

    Have a great weekend dear Suzie. See you next Friday. Don't stress about your post length. We all love your ramblings, esp the funny George bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lve gthe 20s stuff - I find myself very drawn to 30s china, too! Your hair-do has a stylish 20s feel to it, don't you think?

    So, great outfit and lovely, lovely bed, Suzie! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how i love the 1920s too! I think anyone with good taste simply must! (and the 1940s) Love that coat and your outfit is gorgeous - you've got style girl!
    I'm still 10 too, sometimes i long to be more mature. But you are who you are.
    I love porridge with brown sugar. In spite of the fact that my dad once reduced me to tears when i was 9, as i was forced to eat porridge with bran on top before school! Ridiculous carry on it was.
    Enjoy the christening and have a lovely weekend. Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie you are so entertaining... I love reading your posts...The first two block of our ex-council houses were built in 1930 but the maps for 1938 are tantelisingly not present on the old maps website... grr!
    I love your period pieces... My brother took over my grandfathers trade of leaded lights so its lovely to see houses with them still in place... such thought and design was put into houses back in those days.. the 1920 to 1950 are my favourite fashion years.. I love the old painted vogue front covers.. I use to have a book with them all in and I remember as a youngster spending hours looking at hte graceful images of stylised ladies...

    Loving your outfit, I love those colours... and the shoes are fab!

    and my mum has passed a fur coat onto me that dates from the 1920's... and its not fake! but it is beautiful!

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzie,love your new outfit :) Very clever!
    It makes me want to sew a skirt now......i am always in jeans!
    Wishing you a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh I love your outfit Suzie ! And the new bed.

    When I was at college I was hooked on the 20's & collected Vogue over design books.

    Hope you have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you've created an outfit from other clothes! Funnily enough, in line with your 20's theme I'm currently reading Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella - if you haven't already read it, do so! - you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Suie! I just love your new bed- swap you..!
    I may be able to help you out with the swimming - I trained as a swimming teacher and coach many moons ago and recently taught the very sinkable MrP to swim on honeymoon- couldn't think of anything better to do ;o)
    you pack so much into a week you make me look lazy!
    Love that print too but I'm not allowed any more art yet- or beds- or clothes- or horses- or furniture- nothing was said about sewing machines though, I have decided (as every bad workman does) that my lack of sewing ability is down to my inferior sewing machine- so I intend to get a new one today- wish me luck- onward with magnolia-ing the old house for now Jx
    Ps how can anyone not like porridge? Or is that just my Scottish roots coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The outfit is original, a one-off, much like yourself! It looks great, you are so clever. And the print at the top of the blogpost was very much to my taste as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bed is brilliant, so romantical and dreamy.

    The christening outfit is brilliant, you're one talented lady. Loving the excellent hand on hip model post as well!

    So funny you've written about the 20s, I just read a book by Sophie Kinsella called Twenties Girl - just a bit chick lit, nothing demanding but it was a good laugh. How coincidental!

    You need to explain to George the whole concept of cost-per-wear. If something's really expensive but you wear it forever then really you're saving money rather than buying several coats which don't last/go out of fashion. It's an investment piece - honestly why do men not understand this?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the outfit and oh how swish a lovely new love shack for you and george (be careful with this back you know)!!

    You doodle as you call it is divine too

    ReplyDelete
  15. How clever you are, Suzie! That outfit is wonderful!
    And your 20's coat is stunning too.

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab outfit - would lie like to come a redesign some of my wardrobe? Love the coat real twenties!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous post Suzie! Have a wonderful weekend xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Suzie, You scored big on the ensemble. Great job and so funky classic! Hope you have fun wearing it. Your home is just lovely. Now I can see what helps keep you inspired. You are one big talent girlfriend. Luv ya so, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought I'd left a comment but it doesn't look like!!!

    My mum loves the 20s era and has some fantastic deco pieces!

    Have a great weekend,

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Suzi! Congrats on yet another well-deserved award. I love your new bed - enjoy! And I adore the way you gussied up the jacket. I hope you and yours enjoy the weekend. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet Suzie,
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my last post-I know I will get through somehow and especially with my wonderful friends like you. I didn't know letting one's little chick grow up would be so hard.
    I love this post! I am quite sure I was born in the wrong era-I am so much more comfortable with vintage things. I love your coat, and your adorable little house. My house is old too-and it has a spirit that just wouldn't exist in a brand new house. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who has chopped something off to make a new look-and I love the buttons-great outfit!!
    Please send some of you sunny weather here-it's nearly June and we still have to turn the heat on. My garden is getting all soggy and sad looking!
    Have a wonderful weekend! And I hope you have nothing but sweet dreams in your beautiful new bed:)
    Hugs to you too,
    Love, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  22. 20's style is so gorgeous! I love the outfit and the photo is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the 20s too!! Fantastic style!! You look fab in your photo!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post and the previous one is just brilliant - long may you wave your arm and laugh!! Very clever photo of you in your outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do not make them shorter Susie, we love the whole lot!! My Mum always asks me did I see that george was up to so and so this week? She loves George, I think he's almost merged into a sort of Coronation St character for her, without the sex and violence and murders!!! We are sooo behind with Coro here in NZ. I quite despair. We still don't know if Tony gets caught out for killing Liam, and Maria is still bonkers and paranoid at present.....
    I do love your christening outfit. You have STYLE.
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  26. The coat is gorgeous and the outfit you put together is amazing.
    I love stained glass windows. I had to buy one at an antique market last year as our house doesn't have any!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stop by my blog for My Summer GiveAway ! !
    Love,
    Marilyn
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for popping by my blog and commenting. I adore your stained glass windows, they are just perfect. I love the bed as well, it would fit perfect in our old 1911 farmhouse. I haven't looked at the Laura Ashley site in eons!

    Take care,

    Gill in Canada, who has never visited Nova Scotia before but would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for all of your kind comments girls! I really appreciate them all! Love! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Gill in Canada, welcome to my blog, glad you came for a visit! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog, i miss my poor little dog terribly. Your blog is lovely and I so looooooooooooovely, you're so clever. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. errrrr...sorry, meant to say i so looooooove your outfit - don't know what's the matter with me today!!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm visiting new Blogs today and found yours. It's delightful. I loved taking a peek at all the 1920's styles and dances. Have fun at the christening.
    Blessings, Star
    stitching-stars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for your lovely ups Suzie. I love being part of your blogaverse.

    ReplyDelete
  35. loved the way you transformed the outfit! your almost a Gok (dodgy spelling? fashion guy from tv)...hehe...i just giggled over that! Think you have way more style!.
    i think your drawing is lovely too xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. ..phew!!! Just in time before it's Friday again!!! Love your Christening outfit, you look so cool, hope you had a good day!
    Lots of love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. Way down the comment ladder I go...there...I've arrived!

    You look dashing my dear for the out and about moments. And the bed...oh the bedknobs and the broomsticks and the wild rumbly tumbly dreams to be had. I sleep in a log bed and just this morning I awoke and thought...I LOVE this bed!

    It's been a week last week. I allowed myself to be angry yesterday but a good nights sleep and a good dash of forgiveness has me happy again this morning...I believe my boss called me...RESILIENT. Yeah...go suck on your toe you icky boss. Forgive, forgive...one thing I hate is unjustice. Enough ranting...back to the happy spot...

    I've been revamping that famous Gnomes Ahoy box for you. When I opened it up the gnome inside was surprised to see me...he thought he was going to see you....I'm sending another gnome that is not so chubby so the box does not way a ton...WINK...thanks for your patience and your love concerning this Gnome mishap.

    I can't swim either but I do like porridge. You can see me chowing down with the bears!

    Off to the land of real...love you dear heart!
    ~Jacqueline in Fairyland~

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your wit and humor. Just what I needed on a day like today!
    fondly, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)