Thursday 25 March 2010

My 6th birthday in my second life! Springing in!

Hello to all of you, my friends!

Spring is here at last. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It makes me want to re-decorate the house and air out all the rooms.  Pretty up the surroundings!  Oh how I would love a bit of this!

                                A beautiful Cath Kidston Spring bedroom....yummy girls!

Doesn't it just fill our hearts up with hope and cheer when we see the beautiful bright bobbing heads of daffodils? Every spring I love filling the house with them. They bring a certain life to each room, and sunshine each day.


Now I don't know about you, but It just isn't the start of spring at all until I have held a daffodil up and said into its bewildered bloom...."Calling all cars, calling all cars"  Hee hee! Yes, I do. I do it every year! Poor George!

Well it is now six years since my breast cancer diagnosis!  And the start of my second life! Hey hey, its good to give myself two birthdays!  I had my biopsy on the 9th March and my first operation (a masectomy) on the 31st of March 2004. In fact, I got out of hospital just in time for Easter, and still remember the mix of fear (I hadn't got my pathology report back yet) and pure wonder at the way everything was painted more brightly, scents were keener, the breezes softer.



Many hours were spent while recovering from my op, and then going almost straight onto the chemotherapy (4 weeks after my op) watching the birds going about their busy days and reflecting on life and the importance of being in the moment.  I sat gazing out onto the garden from my armchair, wondering how I had never noticed before... so vividly, so real, so intensely.... just how beautiful this world is! Of course I thought I did  know. But I wasn't really awake! But I woke up fully that Easter! I found the beauty almost unbearable, it was so intense.



I wanted to hold it all in my eyes , my heart, my soul, I never wanted to let it go,  I did not want to leave this earth so young (just turned 46 then). My heart ached at the thought of leaving my loved ones, friends and such beauty, and even all the long term problems that I had had before the diagnosis, somehow now didn't seem all that bad! I just wanted to live!  I ached for life.



This is the blessing, the gift that I was given. Because from that day to this, I have never forgotten how lucky I am to still be here. To be here to enjoy another spring, another Easter.

                                       sourced from the internet!

I had such pain, mentally and physically back then, but such joy too!  So spring and Easter mean so much to me! Spring... a time of renewal, new starts, energy and hope! That is when my second life began!


All these photos of the churchyard were taken by me on Wednesday in Poulton le fylde, On a rainy spring day. Usually the flowering is much more profuse, it is a little sparce this year. People travel here every year to take photos, it is such a gorgeous display (photos not doing justice) and they buy postcards which are for sale in St. Chads church (where my Mum's funeral was, and where I was married to my first husband in 1978!)

I am looking forward to Easter!

                                            sourced from internet

These look like they could be full of good ideas for Easter......

Bright and cheerful, cosy and welcoming, Cath Kidston again..... slurp! Sheer eye candy!

Now a thank you to the very lovely Martha who you can visit here, please do go and see her! She sent me this gorgeous little owl pin and card all the way from America! Thank you so much Martha, you are a star!


Lovely isn't it?

Anyhow, I must dash (to bed!) I have taken to posting my posts after midnight on Friday, but yet it still says that I have posted on Thursday!

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!

Lots of love Suzie xxx

36 comments:

  1. Bless you! I was feeling bloody miserable till I read your post, now I'm ashamed of myself. Thank God for you & other brave souls like you...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a witness to the power of new life, Suzie! You are so encouraging, and your photos and text really inspire me to go out and live a gret day in the beautiful springtime. Have a wonderful day yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you Suzie.

    Look at all those beautiful spring flowers...i love this time of year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Suzie
    What a wonderfully powerful affirmation of life and all the good things of Nature, Spring, Easter!!
    I totally agree with you on all those positive reinforcing thoughts !
    Congratulations on 6 years - Happy birthday to your new life - and what a great time you are making of it!
    Happy days,
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I with you - except it's my 9th Birthday for the same reason. My son rang the church bells for the new mellenium and I ended that year with a lump, my op was January 2001, my 45th birthday was that Easter. I felt just like you. I now call it my "glich" on the horizon and decided I was going to do what I wanted to do from then on - I have sort of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was feeling sorry for myself this morning until I read this, it certainly made me think. Love the gorgeous Spring flowers, have a great weekend Suzie.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was lovely Suzie!! What a perfect way to spend the rest of your life - in gratitude!! It is evident in every post that you do!!! I am so glad that you recovered and continue to be well!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a powerful post. thank you so much... i love the fact that easter is about new beginnings and that ths is what you were given 6 years ago. each of us has a story and yours is one of hope.
    %*_*% rosey

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw such a bright cheerful post ! Happy sixth birthday ! I always wonder what it would be yike to be born in a leap year on Februart 29th !
    You are mad ... calling all cars ! calling all cars ! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you! I know how things can be as my dear godmother had breast cancer and I gave her all my love and support. She recovered from it too and today enjoys live to the fullest, just like you.
    May God keep on blessing you each and every day, my friend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a lovely post, could be one of my favourites yet, and left a lump in my throat. I think we all forget to appreciate just how amazing life and the world around us is so thank you for reminding me to step outside at lunchtime and instead of hurrying to the market, to stop for a second and appreciate the beauty of what's around me.

    Happy 6th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A big hug to you, my lovely friend!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sweet suzie girl, You inspire me with your great gusto and enthusiasm for living. One of the reasons why you are here I suspect is to tell your story over and over like you've done to jerk us back to re-opening our eyes and seeing the beauty. Happy happy birthday to you my girl and wishing you soooooooooo many more. XXMollye

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a very heartfelt post. I can't imagine an experience like that NOT changing someone's outlook on life. Thank you for sharing it with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you via another blog, possibly 'a bun can dance' and just wanted to say WELL DONE and happy 6th second time around birthday. Was there cake, did I miss it? I have a special cake each year to celebrate the anniversary of my transplant, never ever take it for granted.
    I was also most interested by the photo of St. Chads.... it is decades since I last saw it... I grew up in Fleetwood and lived that side of Blackpool for many years, and had friends in Poulton.
    May your second life be long and fruitful and full of good things.
    http://laburnumcottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This weekend is going to be so much better for you waking me up to how lucky I am, even though I feel tired and exhausted I will make that extra effort to be cheerful and find the patience you need to be a good mum... thank you and happy 6th Birthday and I raise a glass of cheer to many more to come...

    big hugs Alex

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the messages on my new blog over at http://laburnumcottage.blogspot.com
    I shall start following yours I think, love your crafts. Good luck to your friend with the liver transplant... it often, sadly, takes something momentous happening with us healthwise, for us to really appreciate life and love and, well everything around us. I never take it for granted any more, and make the most of each day in my own way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all so far for your really sweet comments. you can't imagine how I treasure each and every one of them. Maggie... welcome to blogland! So lovely to meet you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful time of year to be reborn. Thank you so much for sharing this part of your life with us today. I do think people get a sort of "wake up" call at some point in their lives, be in accidents, loss, or disease and not everyone pays attention. I'm so happy that you are enjoying this half of your life. I know I enjoy having you around because it really brightens my days when I see you and Ro on fb to remind me of the lovely people that still exist in the world.
    I hope you have a very good weekend.

    P.S. Do the fairies ever come out and ask you to stop making false calls through their daffodils? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post Suzie. I'm so glad that things have gone so well for you since that awful period in your life. It's so true to treasure every day, and most of us take it for granted. What gorgeous pics too, thanks for such a great inspiring read today! Have a wonderful wekend! Love and hugs Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful floral display, flowers always make me feel happy. I am so glad you get so much joy from flowers and that they helped take your mind off more trying times in your life. Have a lovely weekend.
    Nicky x

    ReplyDelete
  22. God is so good. If you had not had the courage to fight, I would have never met you. You are beautiful! Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a lovely inspirational post thank you :-)
    lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday. This post resonated so much for me and made me cry buckestfull of warm, tears of joy and happiness.

    I too feel that I woke up and fought for my life and lived every single day since then.

    Well done and heres to many, many more to come

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are always so positive and inspirational to us Suzie!

    Have a great weekend

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing that with us. We should all be truly grateful for what we've got, and you've certainly made me realise that.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hault...I need to cry. I'm in the midst of emotions. I seem to be wearing them on my sleeve this morning after reading your story. To think that you were saved by God's grace, so we could all be in this place, in this time of knowing you. God always goes before us, in the good times and the bad. The storms rage and we all have a story. I have one too but unable to share it in the land of blog.
    To make light of the situation which is basically called JOY...I'm so glad you are here..what would I do without my Suzie to be the banker in Dollyopoly! Thanks for your faithfulness, I'm sticking to ya, like glue!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there, I've just found your blog and this post has really touched me. Happy Birthday with best wishes from Cornwall x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel so moved when you talk about your experiences with cancer, you talk so honestly and so openly that I am impressed. I really admire you for this, and it feels you live life more "deeply" now, which is wonderful.

    I am enjoying the spring very much too, and I hope you will surprise us with the opening of your Etsy Shop soon! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks all you truly wonderful girls! You comments have touched my heart! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Six years. I bet you can't believe it's been that long, Suzie. Some days it must feel like forever ago but some must feel like yesterday.
    I love the way Spring makes one feel. Although Autumn and Winter are my fave seasons, there is something about Spring one can't ignore. Yay for Daffs and yay for the years rolling by beautifully! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Suzie, thank you for your beautiful words. I understand completely how you feel. I've been there too and am so grateful that I'm able to appreciate the wonderful things around us.
    Wishing you a happy, healthy springtime!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy 6th birthday Suzie Dear!! I'm so glad you are here! You are such a bright spot in so many lives (including mine!), and we are all so much better because of you and the lessons you have learned and are willing to share-we should all be thankful for what we have, see the beauty around us, and take nothing for granted.
    Happy Easter, and I hope the Easter bunny is really good to you!!
    XX Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy 6th birthday Susie, you're always so happy sounding and upbeat! My mum has got her op for breast cancer on the 9th of April she is feeling really scared, we are too, I know she'll be fine but you cant help but worry! Id love that ck bedroom too! I hope you have a lovely easter, you deserve it! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Suzie, so glad you're here, my 2nd mum's best friend has just had her mastectomy and I am so looking forward to passing your good news on to her, I'm sure it will lighten her day. Thank you, Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am very grateful at your healing! yuor posts are so positive and inspirational xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)