Thursday 7 October 2010

More Handmade Christmas, Plus Teacosy Pattern

Hello again peeps!

Well it would seem that everyone who commented last week, certainly shares my longing for a more simple christmas with handmade gifts and old fashioned values, which may I say is very refreshing! Thank you so much for your input and lovely helpful comments. You have all inspired me further to press on with my quest!



So this week as I was busy sewing, drawing, painting, etc., I was still pondering over how hard it is to think of good handmade gifts for men, and I found myself smiling to myself reminiscing over past makes which didn't quite turn out the way I had hoped for.  There were the pyjamas I once made for George  out of an old sheet, very thrifty...(I know, poor George!). You know, sometimes an idea just pops into your head, and well, you just have to, don't you? Bless him, he wore them, even though the traced markings, ie. dots and the words cut here, never ever would wash out!


 Then there was the jumper I made him on my newly aquired knitting machine, which had one of those contraptions which allowed you to draw the shape on it, and then just knit it. Happily flinging the carriage from one side to the other, following the chart, I didn't realise that the jumper was growing longer and longer!  On that occasion George refused point blank to wear it, and I ended up wearing it around the house as a very long nightie/dressing gown!



Sadly no pics though, as it was in the days before digital cameras!

As well as trying to catch up with various jobs, such as a cross stitch I promised the lovely Lynne in Ireland many moons ago. If you are reading Lynne, it is coming along very well now! I have been a busy bee drawing and painting little pics for a few peeps, and still trudging on with my secret project.



There are a few simple knitted gift ideas too which I have to get on with.  This is a gift I made for my friend a couple of years ago, and she still has it, and tells me she treasures it more than any shop bought gift I have ever bought for her. Those words warm the cockles of my heart!



Another popular request is for this teacosy which I made too. you can find the pattern here folks!


Another handmade gift that I may make, is this pin cushion with needle keep which I designed and made a few months ago. But not many of my family and friends are into sewing, so I am not sure who I would make one for yet!


Or perhaps I could make some more of these?


I have also been trying, as you all may well know, to sort out our house.  The bathroom and the shower room which were to be started this monday, have now been delayed due to an internet purchase which has been causing us distress for a few weeks. It may be sorted out now, but for a while there we were feeling rather sick that we may have lost a bit chunk of our house budget! They had debited our card, but we could not contact them at all, desite numerous efforts. We have now managed to cancel the order and hopefully will get our money back, but it has caused a big delay, as our plumber has now got other jobs on. Here is a before pic of the bathroom, in a sad state of limbo!






Anyhow, sorry for boring you with that! It will all come out in the wash as they say, and there are worse things at sea!

GET STUFFED! Sorry! :) I have been stuffing this week..... stuffed marrow, and yesterday stuffed peppers. I love the stuffed peppers, and sometimes I use no meat at all. Yesterday I used a  bit of minced meat which I minced myself from some steak we had last friday, when we had thin slices of steak on ciabatta, with sauted onion and cheese! Ooooh yum.  I love being thrifty with food, it must have rubbed off on me from my Mum. It really delights me to buy a cut of meat and then see how many meals I can get out of it. So, I held back some of the steak and minced it.

 Stuffed marrows before the cheese was added and before cooking, with a marrow from the garden by the side!

Next, I made up a basic mix, with onion, celery, etc., and cooked it all with a bit of homemade sauce. So this week we had stuffed pepper and stuffed marrow another day,  twas yummy!  Mollye, you asked the other week how I stored my chili peppers, well I frose them, I didn't write this because, I have to spell it frose, as I have lost my ' ' and have to use 's'!!!  Its to be hoped that I don't visit the oo soon and have to write about the animals I saw a t the oo!

Talking of my Mum, it was the anniversary of her death on the 4th of this month, and my Dad's on the 7th. I still miss them like it was yesterday. It is hard to believe that they have both been gone for so long now.   I often long to have just another day with them both. I think of all those questions I should have/could have asked, but never did, because we always think we have all the time in the world don't we?  But we don't! So if you are both around somewhere... I love you so much, and miss you terribly. Grab someone you love today and give them a huge hug!

 My Mum and Dad! Years ago, before I was a twinkle in the eye!

 Anyway, I hope I haven't bored the pants off you today!  Will be trying to catch up with everyone this weekend!

Lots of love! Susie xxxxxxxxxxx

32 comments:

  1. As always it's so lovely to read what you've been doing and are planning. I love to see your projects. I think your hearts are so divine. You could make those as gifts of pillows or ornaments with a little message "I give you a piece of my heart for Christmas". Although for men, outside of George, that could be taken a bit flirtatious. Maybe just their initials embroidered? lol Add a batch of cookies with that and you're in like flint. I'm sure what ever you make will be cherished by one and all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you bore anyone? I have howled with laughter through the entire post & then got incredibly sad at the end..I LOVE the saying on that cushion. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a simple Christmas :) For the last 3 years I've been making lots of gifts, last year I brought from CS & spent about £70! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that cushion, and the pin cushion, and heart, and guess what everyone is getting a teacosy!!!!
    I miss my mum, she used to annoy me by ringing virtually daily, the phone doesn't go now. she has been gone seven and half years and still miss her.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ( not boring ever ) post Suzie ! I have some of your gorgeous hearts. Faby homemade gifts.
    Treasured memories of your mum & dad. Hope you get the bathroom mix up sorted.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of your Mum and Dad is lovely. I'm looking around for someone to hug but the only person near me is my boss and I don't think he'd appreciate it! I'll have to settle for hugging the cats when I get home.

    I need to get my stuffing action on as well, I always see recipes for stuffed things and think HELL YES! And then never get around to doing it.

    Glad all your projects are coming along nicely, I still can't think of anything to make the men in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading your blog first thing this morning in bed on my iphone and Mr P was in total disbelief... I commented that technology was fantastic if I can blog in bed! lol
    it all went pear shaped when I got all cuffudled when I tried to leave a comment... not as clever as I thought it would seem! ;D

    Anywho... I love your posts and I love their chatty friendly nature and I will rack my brain for more "men" related gifts although I think Mr P would laugh his arse off if I made pj's out of a sheet... perhaps I should try it! ;D

    I must tell you as well that I have been inspired to start skething again and get my watercolours out and dusted off... I wish I could create the enid blyton esq drawings that you so wonderfully create but alas I think it is a little beyond me... however I will find my groove and work on my techniques... x

    and I fully agree with your "give someone you love a hug" but you are too far away! ... but of course I will double my efforts to appreciate and love my parents...

    heres a load of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's I can spare a few ! lol

    big hugs better get on with the hoovering or something domesticated and even more boring!

    hugs Alex
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not boring at all. The knitting story made me laugh. I once made a jumper for my husband which turned out dress length rather than jumper length! Needless to say he never wore it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bathroom, even if it's not sorted out yet!
    Lovely memories of your mum&dad, sending you a big hug xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh where do you find those photos Suzie?!! You always make us laugh you lovely lady. Your bathroom looks a little further ahead than ours. We just have plastered walls and a shower base. You win! Yes we do have another bathroom to use.

    Love seeing all that wonderful red gingham goodness up there. Very nice gifts indeed. What lucky friends you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susie! You made me laugh with your long jumper story. I can't knit, but I can wash knitwear into extraordinary shapes. Ray complained about having no jumpers once and I said, what's wrong with that one? (in his drawer), to which he replied 'it's great, if you're an orangutan!'. Yes, I did see his point once he held it up and I saw that the arms were rather stretched and long. Still makes me laugh.
    I love your pin cushion! Good luck with the bathroom. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely photo of your parents...i miss my mum too amazing to think that i have lived 34 of my 38 years without her...
    what a bummer about your bathroom. hope you do recoup all of your money. love all of your makes, you are very very clever.
    xxrosey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzie, thanks for popping by my blog, always lovely to hear from you. Gosh, your mum was SO pretty wasn't she? Anniversaries like the two you mention, are difficult times to get through, I know. And I understood the comment about all those things you wish you had asked but never did, and now you can't. I feel the same about my dad and his days in the RAF in WWII, and my mum in her young days. In fact, when I was doing my family tree, just ANYONE to ask questions of would have been helpful and allowed me to go much further back than I have. But no point having regrets.
    Love the tea cosy, off to look at the 'how to'. Great post...Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is funny about the sweater lol....and That is such a great picture of your parents. You must treasure that!! ~And your right time does slip away much to fast thanks for sharing I will definitely give my parents a ring today and say hello ;-)~ Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzie, as I was reading your post I was thinking of my Mom and how she would always have a few things 'in the works'.....from mittens for us kids, a dress or skirt for one of my sisters, a sports jacket for me, making meals and getting a lot of things done! Like you. Then you mention your Mom and Dad. Sorry they aren't there for you to share all of your ideas with. Thanks for 'enabling' the memories of my Mom to come back to me today. It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. We have a lot to be thankful for and I will give my Dad a huge hug!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you bounce thoughts around like you are in the hen house clucking away with your girlfriends.

    Ha..you make my mind say...
    I wonder how?
    I want that! (pin cush)
    Really, is that so?
    Oh! Look at that!
    She looks like her mama.
    I love this Suzie girl and have no idea why...

    I could hardly think about the rest of your post after seeing your parents...My mom died on April Fools Day. Her birthday was Jan 25th and my dad died on the night of Jan 24th three years later. We always say, he was her birthday gift in heaven.

    Until we meet again...remember when I look at the moon, I see you, in the same moon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a wonderful and interesting (and slightly sad as well)post. I like the cushion you made for your friend very much and the teacosy is great...must go and have a look at the pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always look forward to your weekly posts, Suzie! Could never get tired of you. :) Take care and have a most lovely weekend! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the picture of your parents...such a great reminder of what is most important in life!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha Ha, I think I shall make my father in law some pyjamas for Xmas! What a hoot! Fire engines or something! Excellent!
    Love Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness me you have been a busy bee! Your Mum and Dad looked lovely - sorry to hear their anniversaries are coming up - hope you don't find it too hard :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Susie
    Sorry I haven't been about. Busy finally moving- hurrah! Loved your post as always- I too wish for a simpler Christmas and will be making most of the presents. (Mainly sloe gin with a bumper crop of sloes this year) I love your cushion and teacosy (I'm going to make one for mum). I love George's PJs too- I need some for MrP.
    How true about your mum and dad- off to phone mine right now with new resolve to make the most of them while I have them however hard work they are...
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Suzy. Well I love your teacosy. It definately puts cosy into tea! And that cushion you made for your friend is just beautiful. And as ever your drawings are just amazing! I just love your posts. Sorry I have only just come round and commented. Time just seems to run away with me at the moment.

    Hope you have a lovely week.

    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  24. SUZIE!! At last, I have my computer fixed and can read your blog!!:0)
    Thankyou so much for leaving such lovely comments on my blog through the summer :)
    They mean so much to me!
    I was so upset when we got our new computer and could only read certain blogs! Yours was one I couldn't get to..GGGrrrr.
    But I'm here now, and the good thing is I have lots of reading to catch up on to keep me bizzy:)
    I too miss my parents. Especially my Dad. Like you say, just one more day would be good!
    Have a great rest of the week Suzie!
    It's so lovely to be back on here.
    Hugs.
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a feast for the eyes lots of lovely things to look at and I totally agree about a handmake Christmas I did it last year and it is very satisfying!
    Nicky x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bit on stuffed pepper has me wanting to so the same. Maybe stuffed tomatoes too!!! I adore the photo of your parents! Old photos are so wonderful, especially when you know the subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yes im reading suzie, just like every other week ;0) No rush at all with the cross stitch anything you make me is well worth waiting for x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, sweetie!
    You have been busy... Just like a busy bee!Lol
    Love your handmade presies and the sutffed pepper... Yum! Yum! In my tum!Lol
    Have a lovely week, ahead!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post again Suzie! It's like a good pot pie-nice and meaty! I will read this one over and over again since there is so much good stuff here! Thanks for all the lovely pictures too:)
    Have an wonderful week!
    xx Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oooh I see you've been around blogland, well in Michela's garden to be exact! How the heck are you my dear? I've so missed your fab little funnies each week. I bet you are hoarding a few brilliant ones by now! Anyway I hope you are well and enjoying yourself. Love to you, from Sarah xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. How are you - missed you - please come back Friday mornings is not the same!
    I did reply to your last email but it was so long ago, and I think you said you had a different address - email me sometime.........
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)