Wednesday 2 September 2009

Counting blessings and bills!

Hello again!

Before I go into this weeks witterings, I would like to thank Deb at A Fine Feathered Nest for giving me a beautiful, gorgeous award, which I have put on my sidebar and will treasure dearly. Thank you so much Deb! You are lovely and kind!

Also I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to come on here and read my ramblings again and again, and then leave me comments. You are all stars! Thank you so much!

The other day, despite George being off for work for two weeks, after longing for his time off for quite some time, things started to go wrong at work, the phone started ringing, ringing and then ringing again! Very quickly he was realising that he may have to sacrifice some of his holiday due to responsiblities to his job. Soon the phone was ringing again, but this time it was the garage, reeling out a long list of jobs that needed to be done on our car! I won't say how much the bill was, but it was enough to make a happy duck's bill drop to the floor! One of our dogs, not mentioning any names... ARCHIE...was having one of his drama queen days, (lying on the settee with his paw over his head!) and our nerves were being stretched with his ham actor histrionics!



Archie our nutty Jack Russell Terrier. Also known as Archibald Peabody Smythe!


We have only recently moved into our home, and it needs quite a few jobs doing on it, and what with Christmas, and a wedding coming up, well......!
I am sure you all know what I am talking about there! Sometimes, there are worries sat upon more worries and they pile up into a nice little worry hillock, leaving you feeling a tad stressed. But, despite the huge unexpected bill, I decided that I would just smile. You know that there is a tiny moment in any situation where just for that second you have a choice. You have the choice of how you are going to react to that particular situation. So, I decided not to let it spoil the day.It will work it's self out somehow, I thought to myself. They mostly do in the end! Don't let it spoil George' time off work, (if he gets it!) I always try to view life in this way, although I am not always too good at it, but I do try and mostly I can see the bright side! I decided that rather than dwelling on what was wrong with the day, that I would count some of my blessings instead. There are always many more things to be happy of than sad! :)

A welcoming door and a roof over our heads.




My veggie patch where I can pretend to be cultivated! (Ha!)




Lovely food on the table each evening. Delicious monk fish A la George! Accompanied by a cold splarkling glass of Cava. It was so yummy!!! We don't, I must hasten to add have this kind of a meal everyday. Well not the cava anyway! No, we usually have gruel. Only joking!!!




Candlelight and music, and faith! Yes the blessing of faith :)




Autumn leaves, nature's beauty is free!




























Pretty countryside and wild horses running free. The blessing of having a free spirit!

A water colour I painted.




Wandering along meandering English country lanes, breathing in the fresh air...Is free!


We are lucky to have these lovely lanes a stones throw away from our home!




Our feathered friends, clucking happily in my friend's garden. Lucky me, I get free eggs!

Chick, chick, chick, chicken, lay a little egg for tea!



Flowers, a reminder to us of how miraculous our world is. Hollyhocks and a poppy I grew from tiny seeds!


I love poppies! Daft I know, but my car is called poppy!



The sound of children playing happily! Smiles and laughter are free!

Another water colour painting of mine.


Friends, thank goodness for true friends, My Mum always said it is better to have one good loyal friend, than to have many fly by night ones. As usual, she was absolutely right! I made this cushion for one such a friend, my soul sister, who I have known for years now! with each stitch I thought about her and all our memories together. I am blessed to have such a good friend. These kind of friends are as rare as hens teeth, and hee hee, and talking of hens, Susan is the one who lets me have free eggs! Still wondering if I should get some chickens. I have an empty coop! I am also blessed with many other very good friends also, some who have known me for years and yet they still stick around!!! Lately, I have found a long lost friend, Ro Jordan. She found me through using facebook! I am so glad she did! I have been blessed by the fact that the friends I do have are true and caring.



I love the freedom and effects of stitchery! This one has stitchery, applique and homespun fabric



And of course, there is always the blessing of Hope! Which is more than I can say for this poor blighter! There is something really sad about this abandoned boat which lays on the banks of Skippool Creek near to where I live. Everytime I walk past, I wonder who owns her, and what she was like in the flush of youth when she was freshly painted and proudly bobbing about on the waves. When she was Yar, as Katharine Hepburn said in The Philadelphia Story, with Cary Grant (YUM!).


If you look closely, or click on the photo, you will see she is called 'Good Hope' !


It is my husband's birthday this weekend, and we were going to go out for a meal, but due to the rather large repair bill, we will most likely be having a lovely meal at home instead. Oh, but, I love making a special meal at home, it is so cosy..... the table set with lovely glasses, napkins, an embroidered table cloth, the soft warm glow of candlelight, lovely music and a log fire too! What more could anyone want, it is perfect. Oh Maybe just one more thing.... a nice glass of fizzing bubbly cava!


BOTTOMS UP GIRLS!!!!

So this weekend, I will lift a toast to you all during our birthday celebrations and wish you all many blessings! Bottoms up girls!

Suzie. XXX :)

43 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie,

    It would be hard to stay unhappy with Archie's cute face to look at! Your front door is ever so welcoming too! In fact all of your pictures have cheered me up and put a big old smile on my face :-)

    Once again, wishing you a fabulous weekend!

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cor blimey girl, don't let the ******** grind you down!
    I have whole weeks that start out as bright and sunny as a May Bank Holiday and by Tuesday the week ahas descended into the abyss of a pea souper on the moors! I think you have an excellent strategy figured out! Keep smiling it will all come good in the end.
    Mr.Boodle must have gone to the same drama school as Archie! Tee hee
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rose and Sarah! Yes, doesn't that dog look cute. Don't be fooled,but he is a real character! Thanks for your comments again, nice to see you here! :) Yes, keep smiling! If it doesn't come out well, at least you can go down grinning like an idiot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were supposed to go out to dinner for a friend's birthday but are self employed & waiting for some cheques to arrive..... Went for a blustery walk with daughter & dog, sat on the beach with a cup of tea for me & a hot choc for her and thought " lovely " Lovely post Suzie - I like your front door ( mine needs a make over - like the whole house !!! )xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. bad penny, lovely to see you on here again! Sometimes the simple things are the nicest of all! My house needs an awful lot doing too! We have just decorated the living room, and as usual, I have more paint on me than the walls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, you have been busy with this weeks blog! I was getting worried this morning when i came on here and there was no blog! Archie is SO sweet! Am loving the photo's of your garden and front door, AND your mate's chickens! Wish George Happy Birthday from me - I'll raise a glass to him tonight!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ro! Thanks for visiting me again, love seeing you here. Archie is cute isn't he? I will say Happy birthday to George from you! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dont you just hate it when bills or things in general just stack up. But I like the attitude you employ to it all.

    Your dog is so cute and I am joining in with all the front door love too. Its just gorgeous!

    Hope all goes well for you OH birthday and you have a lovely home cooked meal. (sometimes more fun).

    Have a lovely weekend.


    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes MBB, I really actually prefer home cooked food. We don't go out much really, as we like the cosiness of home! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is a wonderful reminder that not only should we count our blessings, but that there are blessings everywhere around us, if we only take the time to look-and that they don't have to be fancy or expensive things either. Thanks Suzie! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I have a little Jack Russell too (our 3rd) and she's a pip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Suzie, another great post. I love the cushion, the shabby boat and the heart on your front door, I think I might have a go at one for mine, it looks so welcoming, like lots of love in here. And congrats on the 5 year stuff, my sister in law is a 10 year survivor after a mastectomy, and not only is that great cos we get to keep her but its great cos it gives us big hopes. Take care and all, Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there! Thanks for your nice comments, it is good to learn about your blog and your work ;O)

    Have a lovely weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Suzie. Thanks for popping by and leaving me a message. You are very talented, I love your stitchery pictures. Hope you enjoy the lower key birthday celebrations just as much as the original plans. Have a great weekend.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have many wonderful blessings.
    Love the water colours.
    Nothing like fresh eggs, eh?
    Love the dog and the front door photo's, heck they are all great

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Suzie!
    What lovely blessings to balance out the stress, hey! I hope George gets some well deserved time to enjoy his birthday this weekend; have a blast!
    Lucy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzie! Happy birthday to your hubby!
    Hope you're having a carefree weekend! When you'll be back I would be very pleased if you would enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzie, thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. I love your artwork, you are clearly very talented! Just noticed you are in Lancashire - I'm a Lancashire Lass and spent many a happy summer around the Fylde where my grannie lived.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful door! beautiful blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. sending you (((win lots of money vibes)))
    *_*
    happy birthday to your hubby and have a great night in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a fantastic front door!!!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have just discovered your lovely lively blog! I love your watercolour paintings and upbeat outlook on life. I could do with a friend like you as I can be a tad pessimistic at times! I look forward to reading more. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello - Thank you for the lovely comment, Oh - Archie is so sweet, cannot believe he is a "drama-queen'! I love those paintings, how I wish I could paint like that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Suzie, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I have enjoyed reading yours and will be following it from now on. I love your pictures you are very talented, also love your front door and your dog !
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for the visit and sweet comment, and for leading me here to your blog! It's lovely and I know I shall return often. To answer your question, Edward is a mix of Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and Chow-Chow...of course, I do think he has some sheepdog in him somewhere!
    Our other dog, Apple, is a mystery...although we are certain she is sheepdog based as well. We have had people say Briard or Bouvier...but we don't know. They are both sublime, however, and we adore them!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the nice comment on my blog! You seem to live in a lovely place, I just love the English countryside, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for your comment - hope you dont have to sore a head today!
    love your blog !
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for visiting my Blog.
    What a lovely Blog you have , I will be visiting you often.
    Your dog Archie is adorable ,
    our Jack Russell , Miss Amy, send her love to him :)
    Greet,
    trudette

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your comment on my blog! This is a lovely post I really enjoyed it. Love Archibald Peabody Smythe Esq. he's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh what a lovely post, and a gorgeous blog. I love your owls! Your dog is so cute, love his little face. Thank you for stopping by at Little Blue Door. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Suzie, what an interesting blog you have.
    Love your front door and welcoming home. I have to agree with so much you have said.
    Your paintings are simply beautiful.
    Thank you for stopping by.
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzie!
    You are absolutely right about appreciating the good things in life, for a new perspective, instead of dwelling on worries and what-nots. It takes effort though.

    Thank you for always stopping by and leaving a comment. I really, really appreciate it! I will be back for more :)

    Have a great week!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful uplifting post. Thank you. I enjoyed reading it all and love your artwork. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi
    Thanks for visiting and also for a lovely post to read over here :)
    I will settle down with a cup of something and read your blog further.
    Loving your photies xxx
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Suzie, You set a beautiful table. So many pretties to look at today on your post. I can be feeling ho-hum and one peek at your blog brightens and cheers me up. Hugs to you friend, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well you made me smile with that lovely post! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog…you are very talented, the art work you done is fab.

    I love the front door!!!

    Love Lou xxx

    PS. I’m having a giveaway if you would like to enter! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have just been looking at Ralph and I am going to call my china dog Ralph too.
    From Emma Sweet Things

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Suzie,
    What a delight you are .
    The essence of you jumps off the page.
    Susanx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello Suzie
    I do feel for you what with the BIG bill and George losing out on some hols.... But you have totally the right attitude as you are focussing on your blessings. Through life's ups and downs, I know for sure it is gratitude that gets you through all the tricky stuff. You have so many wonderful blessings too, which you've shared with us here. Your paintings are superb - and I've probably said this before, but you could get those published !!
    Have a super rest of the week
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love your art, you're so talented! :) So glad you've found me and that way given me an opportunity to take a peek into beautiful things you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The most gorgeous dog and front door :) Ohooo sounds like you are an expert lavender grower, have to say I am very good at harvesting it, but am yet to grow my very own, I always borrow from my friends and family ;) They are happy for me to cut away. Actually your comment has made me want to grow my own so am going to look into what needs to be done, that would be perfect for me, growing and havrvesting mine too :)

    Hugs

    X

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Suzie, I was reading some of your older posts before I met you and I am just blown away with your so so beautiful watercolors. Please please put together a little childrens book with those gorgeous illustrations. I'll buy several! teehee. Your talent is amazing. Hugs to your my little galpal.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)