Wednesday 9 September 2009

Nah, what's up Doc???

Hello again!

Before I go on to this weeks ramblings, I must again say a big thank you to all of you who take the time to leave comments. When I read others blog posts, which I try to do regularly, I can see how busy everyone is I have been overwhelmed by the amount of comments, and the kindness and thoughtfulness that they contain! You will be pleased to hear George had a lovely birthday, we had red snapper wrapped in bacon with herbs from the garden and freshly dug potatoes. i t was yummy! Thank you to all of you who wished him a happy birthday!





My post today touches on a very personal matter, and I spent some time pondering whether or not to write about such a very hard journey in my life! As my regular readers will know, I like to keep my posts on the light hearted side. I really don't want people leaving my blog with a heavy heart and a big frown! But it is part of my life, and one which I should not pretend has not happened.

However, as it all happened 5 years ago, and I can actually laugh about it now. When recently, I wrote that sometimes I can look in the mirror and laugh at what life and age have done to me, I really meant it! I can actually cry laughing! So believe it or not, this is not a sad post, it is more of a philosophical one, I hope!

The other day, I needed to go to the doctors.


Sourced from the Internet, Ladybird. If only it was all this jolly!


Nothing to worry about at all. I just needed to get myself back on list for mammograms and check ups. My husband has medical insurance from work, and if you use it like I did, you only get cover for five years. So, I rang up the surgery on Monday morning, and asked for an appointment. I decided to explain why I needed the appointment, as I thought (foolishly) that maybe I wouldn't have to go in at all, surely it could just be done over the phone? No, said the rather abrupt receptionist at the other end of the phone, you have to see the doctor. Oh, ok, I replied, could I make an appointment then? No, she added,you will have to ring on Wednesday between 8 and 8.30am to make an appointment for the same day. Ok! Wednesday arrived ( this is Friday, even though date will say something else, I put the photos on on that day), and I rang and got an appointment for 10.50. When I got to the Docs, I sat waiting, and waiting, in the reception, when I spotted a poster which told you, if you need a chaperone, ask at the desk. This amused me, I thought about the film Miss Potter, which I have on DVD. Beatrix potter has a chaperone stalking her in every scene almost!


The stalking chaperone dressed in black, quietly following behind!


So.......I had this image in my head, that the Docs must have a room full of chaperones, just like the one in the film!!! This nearly brought on a fit of giggles, which I am prone to get, quite often. I had to really control myself as I was sat on my own and when I get a giggle attack, I really find it hard to stop!

Luckily, I was so nervous I could block the giggling abdabs before they even started. I never liked going to the Doctors before the last 5 years of tests, operations and treatments, but now I seem to have developed a very strong aversion to it all! I was sat there questioning how I could be nervous, when nothing was going to happen. It was ridiculous! I told myself off, but it was no use, I just could not conquer my own fears. That is something I am still working on.... trying to live without fear. The trouble is that my illness (Breast cancer) set off a fear in me that seems to be well rooted in. When I was diagnosed, people remarked on how brave I was. Well I suppose, if you regard bravery as not caving in and taking it on the chin, well yes then, I was brave. But what people couldn't see, because I didn't show it, was that I was terrified!!! Inside my head, I had entered some kind of hellish place. I suppose it hadn't helped that my Mum had died of cancer 5 years before, and my Dad from cancer too, 5 years before that. And suddenly I felt like a small child who needed my Mum, but she wasn't there. I needed the cosy comforts that my Mum would have given, like a lovely pot of tea and cake! When ever I had to go to the Docs or the dentist when I was little, my Mum always used to treat me to this, or licorice ( I was going to take a picture of some yummy licorice, but I ate it! Oooops!)





When you get ill suddenly, with a potentially fatal disease, it can make you just want to curl up in a ball. Everyone is different in the way they will handle it, but I personally, spent my time recuperating from my operations and chemotherapy, as a time to reflect on life and to make sense of at all. For me, it was as if I had been thrown out of my old life into somewhere strange and alien. All I wanted, was to go back to how it was before, and for some time I could simply not accept what had happened to me. My mind just wasn't having it at all. It was similar to that feeling you get when someone dies, everything has changed and it will never be the same, and you just can't grasp it all. I was in a dark place for a while, and then bit by bit, like a beautiful butterfly emerging into the sunlight, I started to realise that even in such a traumatic time, wrapped up in amongst the sorrow and pain, is a gift. A really wonderful gift, a blessing! I could taste it, it was real, I can't put my finger on it or explain it, but on some deep level , I knew I had received something precious, and for what I had lost (my left boob, my figure and most of my hair!!!) I had somehow gained so much more. Everything was so concentrated, the sun was brighter, the grass was greener, the sky was bluer. I took the time to really appreciate this wonderful earth that we are blessed to have and love. I thought I had always appreciated everything, but I couldn't believe how much more I could 'see', it was as if my eyes were wide open! You know that feeling when you have the flu, or you wake up from a nightmare, and it feels soooo good to be back. Everything feels new and wonderful, well I started to have that lovely feeling , but all the time!
Like a new sunrise.


I did this stitchery with applique when my new sunrise started to be born!
It reads: Stormy sea and darkened skies...yet here it comes, a new sunrise.


Now though back to the Docs! When I finally got into see the Doctor, I sat down and she asked me what she could do for me. I told her why I was there, thinking that obviously, as I had to make an appointment, there would perhaps be a check up, or maybe some questions. NO!!! She said , yes , we can do that for you, I will put you back on the screening program. Goodbye. Why did I need to go there to be told what I could have been told on the phone?!

Well I hope this post has been uplifting and not at all maudlin, I wouldn't want it to be sad, as I like to make people smile. So, I thought I would share this video with you all. Because I have had to face my mortality full on, I did spend some time preparing myself , just in case! The fear that I have to try to conquer is that my cancer may come back, and I will kick the proverbial tin bucket! Anyhow, when I was in between my dark days and my hey, I'm back and loving it days (now), in the I haven't got a clue what will happen but I may as well have a laugh about it and get on with it days. I decided that at my funeral I would have some deep and meaningful songs and words, but right at the end, as I departed and people were feeling sad (or not!) I would leave the way I like to live, and give everyone a good laugh. The song is about leaving, but mainly about being insane! People who know me would definitely see it as appropriate! Enjoy it! Its great.
Thank you all of you who are still reading, I hope I haven't bored you!

Until next week, I wish you all lots of love and happiness!

Suzie. xxx :)


Dr. Demento - They're coming to take me away, ha ha , hee hee, ha ha



36 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Suzy I don't know where to start here............First of all I'll be your surrogate mama and take care of you just cause you're such a sweetie who touches my heart and secondly.......I listened to that song and I felt like I was completely insane afterwards lol and the images boy did they bring back some long ago funny memories of just how crazy everyone seemed to be then! OK just go and do the dang checkups and be done with them. One day at a time. The fear....I think it's a biggie with most of us and is something we just must work on continuously asking God to remove it for us. Nope you surely didn't bore me today! Hope your weekend is great. I'm a little puny today and going back to hug my pillow. Hugs, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and smiles to you Dear Girl ~ you really are such a wonderful and uplifting person...thank you for your kindness!
    Blessings and bliss to you.
    xox, Kali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks Mollye, You are lovely! Hope you feel less puny soon! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzie, it is nice from you sharing your story with us, and I really like the way you explain it, in a very positive fashion and with humour. Fortunately nothing terrible has happened in my life like what you went through, however I really try to live and enjoy every little thing as if it was the first or the last time. A big kiss for you... and yes... i think you are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzie...I think you are GR 8 !!! I get the giggles a lot like that ...chaperones to the Docs whatever next !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this story, Suzie. What courage and bravery you have! And don't we ALL wish we had a chaperone who looks like Ewan MacGregor (even in old-fashioned garb!)...I know I do! :) Miss Potter is one of my favorite movies. Hugs your way! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you are feeling I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2001 - I don't remember that year at all, my hair is now a mess it needs a good cut! My left boob has gone too! When I was finally signed off from the hospital I was so happy it was actually 23rd December 2006 exactly five years to the day after I found the lump. I call that experience which I don't want to reapeat my "glich" on th horizon! I know where you are coming from with the "new sunrise".

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an honest and inspiring post.



    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such beautiful, soulful people all of you. I feel the warmth shining through your kind words! Suzie. xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a truly inspiring person you are. I cant imagine what you went through. Thank you for sharing your story with us, as that must of been hard.

    Sending you lots of sunshine and smiles on your horizons.


    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suzie,

    I think you come across as very positive in this post :-)

    I can only imagine how hard fighting cancer must have been for you (and all those other poor people who have it) - my aunt has ovarian cancer, ironically after she had a hysterectomy and they left just "cells" behind those cells attached themselves to her bowl, giving her ovarian cancer of the bowel of all things! She is on the mend now though (fingers crossed).

    The only way I can relate to your journey, is that since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia this year (and it is life changing rather than life threatening, it changes your quality of life - if you let it - rather than it's length) everything has changed. Now I beleive it has all changed for the better, but at the time I was scared and alone and unsure of the future. Only now I am here can I see all the positive changes that came about in life this year alone. You sound like you make the best of everything, and have been strong enough to beat it!

    I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi babe! Lovely, beautifully inspiring blog as usual! Did I see a baked egg custard on that tea tray? My Grandma made wonderful Egg Custards, and the last time I tried, it ended up in the bin! All the lovely comments for you are extremely well-deserved! Special souls such as yourself are very rare - and I've always known our friendship was no accident - so will raise my glass of red in honour of 'us' tonight! Love you always, my lovely!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big hug to you--you are an incredibly special and wonderful person! Conquering fear is a mountain I am trying to climb too, and how wonderful to know there are people like you out there-I bet the view from the summit is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Suzie
    Gosh, a very moving and deeply honest post. You are courageous to be so open here, and I admire you for it. Though I have no idea what it is like to experience life threatening illness, I do fully appreciate what you say about the grass being greener, sky bluer, etc, as my life was turned upside down some years back by a very traumatic bereavement. And I think it is true, that life's trials help to make us stronger, more knowing, more aware people, and though it may sound strange I am grateful that my difficult experience has allowed me to experience so much more joy in life. You have this joy in ample helpings and you share it with us all here on your blog. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for being so lovely.
    Happy days to you, and hugs
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big hugs to you - so glad i found your lovely blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your story. It made me cry. Unfortunately the game you have on your blog did not let me read all of it. It was in the way. What I did read was that you are indeed an amazing person! I am so glad I found your blog. Blessings to a beautiful woman! Martha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I did shed a tear! but in a good way, the way friends do when they are listening to one anothers problems, I do have a very large empathy bone!

    I too am minded to appreciate all the days glories and smallest details as my Darling Father in Law lost his battle with Cancer in January. We miss him so.........

    You have been so honest about your fears I hope just writing your thoughts down clarifies and gives you new perspective?

    Love Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Suzie, thank you for sharing your experience and yout thoughts with us. A big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Suzie, thank you for removing the game. I could read the most important part. I praise God that you are well and that He has healed you. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Suzie, thank you for sharing your story , I am afraid it did make me cry but it also made me feel very lucky and positive about life. I lost a friend a few years ago to breast cancer and it is wonderful read such an uplifting story.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh WOW, this is a great post & you have the most gorgeous site here. I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, what a road you've traveled, Suzie! I have to tell you that I admire your outlook on life very much. Your posts are never downers, that's for sure! Really and truly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are too cute! Your attitude inspires me so much. Thank you for being YOU!!
    hugs, Colette

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI suzie, thank you so much for your kind comments and giving me your beautiful award. it means a lot, particularly as I am still a bit of a novice to blogging ! It is now displayed proudly on my blog . Thank you
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love your attitude suzie.....i'm afraid it did make me feel sad momentarily because i have 2 very close friends who have just come out the other end after treatment for breast cancer.i will introduce them to your site,i know they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a wonderful sense of humour! I am sorry that you have been in a dark and depressing place but am glad that you have found a new sunrise! The stitchery is lovely with uplifting words too! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, you're such a strong and inspiring person Suzie - and with a great sense of humour! Hugs to you.

    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the film Miss Potter, Suzie; the photoshop on her eye colour on the cover of the DVD is delightful.

    Grrr what is it with medical receptionists? They've had my sister in tears a few times lately.

    Your story is so similar to my family's in many ways, Suzie. I lost my Mum to cancer, My Dad had cancer but it was eventually his heart that gave out, I had cervical cancer cell changes and as you're aware, my sister is now suffering with breast cancer.
    How is it one can be surrounded by so much of this nasty disease but carry on regardless? It's like you say, Suzie; One may be in a very dark place in ones head but life is often to busy to show it! I think this is a good thing. One can let it all out to the chosen few and the rest will just have to see it how they see it.

    It's uplifting and inspirational to read about your battle and I'm so glad you view it in the way you do, your words are a joy to read.

    Enjoy your week.
    Lucy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Catching up Suzie and have been both amused and moved to read this post. There's nothing boring about it at all. It is inspirational and a reminder that courage can conquer and that sometimes we can get bogged down in unimportant trivia and miss the important, simple things in life. Hugs to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Suzie, Thank you for catching up at Brympton Towers I hope I lift your day ,My Mum was diagnosed with Manic Depression just after she had me ,For 47 years I battled to keep her safe,alive and well but I never gave up on her and she on me . Illness I believe is sent for a reason and I do so relate to your words now she has gone . Luckily her bedroom is in my house and I often sit in there and read her books ,yesterday I opened an old bible and on the first page it had written by her ' I just called to say I love you.' I howled but felt close to her again .
    Susanxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. They say that you can't know happiness unless you know unhappiness so in that respect, every cloud does have a silver lining. You have a wonderful attitude about the horrible experience you went through and I found this post particularly inspiring. Thanks for posting on my blog. I appreciate your support. And I'll be following you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. An inspiring post, thanks for sharing. Loving the embroidery too x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Suzie, another fantastic post. I think you were brave, perhaps bravery is remembering that life is a gift even when its all going pear shaped and just coming through, seeing life even better. Tea and mummying available here for major and minor hic-ups, we all need it sometimes. And I love the song, I haven't heard it since school when we used to sing it to which ever one of us was being the most stupid, arms linked in the sun on the school field - happy days too. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, you have been through so much but you are able to make others smile and laugh. I will have that thought with me all day, you not hearing what the doctor said…LOL

    Have a lovely day love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sometimes it is only when we are threatened with losing something that we can really and truly appreciate it. And I always feel that somehow, somewhere, good can always come out of bad, if only we can find it - it looks like you are living proof of this. And yes, you are brave, very brave - bravery is all about struggling with the fear within - if you have no fear, then there is nothing to be brave about. I hope that writing about your experiences helps you - I am sure that it helps other people to read about the way in which others have survived their trials and come out the other side. Best wishes

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good grief! I'm glad you're still around! I read your post understanding it a lot. I was born with a hole in the heart problem and had meningitis as a kid too... still it could have been worse. My parents could have called me Lucky which would have been asking for trouble!!

    I found that real courage is when you can run and hide but you don't. What you went through was nothing to do with bravery. You have no choice, you hide inside of yourself and hope like anything it will all be over quickly. I cried and hid inside of me when I was young. It took me at least twenty years to get through it all, but I got through it. I still don't like hospitals and avoid them if possible, but I am not afraid of death. It is what it is, neither good nor bad - like life.

    Loved your sailboat stitchery too.

    What doesn't kill you... is still a pain in the derriere!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)