Friday 9 October 2009

A tribute, a chuckle and Moi giving out blog awards!

Hello everbody! Hope you have all had a good week so far and are looking forward with relish to the weekend! Thank you all for your lovely comments again. I have tryed to keep up with everyone this week, but I have had/have the dreaded lurgy, so have not been feeling too springy. Obviously, I out sprang myself last week! I have a head full of cotton wool and a sort of a spaced out feeling!



Hang on folks, I look better here than I usually do!!!!

I have been lucky this week, to be given two blog awards! The Bathe my soul award is from Mummy Boo Bear at Stitchery Pockery and the Over the top award is from Heartniki. at Notebook ch@os.  I am so happy that they like my blog enough to want to! Thank you both very much girls!  The details of who I am passing them on to and everything else connected to it, is all at the end of this post!


 

 This week saw the anniversarys of  my parents deaths, my Mum on the 4th 11 years ago, aged 65 of cancer, and my Dad on the 7th 16 years ago, aged 63 of cancer. I can not believe how fast the years have gone since, and yet it seems like a minute ago and I still miss them terribly.  I like to imagine Mum and Dad are looking down on me everyday and that thought gives me comfort on a daily basis. My Mum told me that I could still talk to her even when she is dead. Thats lovely Mum,  but I don't half get funny looks!



 
What you all looking at? Me? Can't you see who I'm talking to here?!!!
                                  I feel like watching these movies now!

My parents married in 1954. A time when people would visit the beach wearing pearls and their best clothes! True! Look at these pics! No jeans and flip flops then!





Bits and bobs about my Mum.

She was a teacher and all the children loved her.
She had my weird, slightly twisted sense of humour, or rather I have hers!
Years ago, when young, she told a man on a train that her name was Arabella Teapot!
I think she was a feminist, but never knew! She was strong minded and could not bare male chauvenists!
She was naughty! But you always forgave her anything!
She was strong and yet fragile, forceful yet sensitive. She was kind.
She was 5'7" and had size 7 feet.
She had a thing about shoes!
She was brave.
She was outgoing and would do anything for anybody.

Of her two children, my brother was the sensible one,  Mum said that I needed watching! She was so understanding of my imaginary world though!  Once in Canada, Mum bought me a new winter coat, it was green. A practical colour. Hmmmm, I thought, I think it would look so much nicer in RED!
Yes, red, just like that large tin of red paint in the shed outside! I don't think I need to tell you what I did next. Have you guessed? Oh dear!


       A drawing I did of the coat painting! Don't like the way I did her face though!


One of my fond memories is of baking with her. If ever I was sad or upset, she would take me off into the kitchen, keeping busy. You know something, it always worked too!




As I got older my Mum and I more and more became best friends, we would go for coffees together and sit and talk and talk. We always used to laugh a lot, both of us used to cry laughing brought on by our slightly warped senses of humour!

Bits and bobs about my dad

He was an Engineer
He used to be in the Merchant Navy.
He loved cars and worked on them in the garage.
He had a strange sense of humour which made him laugh til his face turned red and tears streamed down.
He was extremely soft and gentle, but rarely showed it.
He was a tad anti-social, disappearing into the garage if we had guests! Which always amused me!
He found me very amusing. And I knew it!
He was 6' tall.
He started to go bald in his early twenties.
He was one of a kind!
If he was around it was always him who would bathe my wounds if I hurt myself.


  We're in the Navy now!

On the night he died, he was drifting from lucidity to somewhere else. We listened carefully to hear what he was saying and realised that he was working out an engineering formula, he had obviously gone back in  time and was busy where he was! He was of that generation where men were meant to be strong and keep their feelings firmly to themselves. When he drifted back to the here and now, he was mouthing something else, and I leaned in to listen, and he was saying "I love you".  That meant everything to me.
When Dad was alive and kicking, he was absolutely convinced that his father had invented perpetual motion.

I know! I know!




He told us that his father had written it all down but he had never found the 'secret'. So in some of his spare time he would take himself off to the gargage and perform experiments. You could hear him clanking, pinging and whirring out there. One day I came skipping home from school, and fancying going out for a ride I looked for my bike. Where is it I wondered? I went into the garage, looking about me. Nope, not here. Then, my eye caught a glint of metal in the sunlight. It came from the wall. There hanging on the wall, disembowelled, was my bike! My Dad had obviously had a sudden brain wave and my bike had become his next victim! I was completely unphased, even a little amused. That was my Dad! So funny, and when I asked him why, he said, he would put it back together again later, and laughed and laughed. My husband George says that my dad was looking in the wrong place, all he should have done was to look to my mouth to find perpetual motion! Thank you George!!


My Dad!

They are both so missed. I feel proud to have had them as my parents, they were very special people with strong personalities. They both suffered a great deal with their illnesses and yet neither one of them ever complained or moaned. Both put others first and were true stars through it all. My Mum discussed what would happen before and after her death with me, and put money to one side for the funeral, etc. They both laughed in the face of adversity. My Mum, walking down the hospal corridors after finding out that she had Lymphoma and lung cancer, held onto my arm and laughed, saying that only she could have two terminal
illnesses, and one way or another the powers that be, were telling her it was time to leave!


This is the way I remember my Mum! Always up for a laugh!



They were magnificent! This has been my little tribute to the memory of their humour, spirit and warmth. Thank you for reading it!

On the sewing front, Here is the finished Christmas stocking. All stitched, fully lined and embellished, ready to go on it's journey to the new owner!

 
 


 


Fully lined with a tiny heart embellishment.


On the learning to crochet front, I think I have almost got it. But not quite hey?! I know....Its rather pathetic really!


Yes, it is rather pathetic isn't it?! Well I do try! Need a tad more practice me thinks!


As I said at the top of this post, I have been given two blog awards this week, yes two! What kindness! I am thrilled of course, but now I have to choose 10 or 12 blogs to give them to, which is the part I don't like, it is horrible choosing!
The first award I recieved was from Notepad ch@os, (this is the Over the top award above, so called I think, because your blog is over and above!) pop over and visit heartniki at Notebook ch@os!  The lovely blogs which I have chosen to recieve this award are:

A day in the life...
Gramarye
Cloudbusting
Fairy footprints
I can't sew

There are two parts to this award, the first is to finish this quiz and the the second is to pass it on to 5 or six other blogs that you love!

To see the quiz click here QUIZ 


The second award (above too) is from Mummy Boo Bear She made this award herself and I think her reasons are uplifting and beautiful, another fab blog, so go and take a look at Stitchery Pockery!  There are two parts to this award too. The first is to make a list of 1-6 things, places or people who as Mummy Boo Bear says in her post that quite literally bathe our souls. Isn't that gorgeous!

Here is my list:

The Special people in my life - My husband George, strong and abiding, always there to support me no matter what. We have shared many sadnesses and trials in our 25yrs together, and he has been my safe harbour. My Friend Susan, who I have known for about 37 years! She is so on my wave length, a deep and spiritual person. Both of these people also allow me what I love the most--freedom and space, when I need it!  Other friends of course , who I love, Ro, Lorranie and Anne being a few of them!  My children, who because our 'family' is not the usual type of family, and life has been interesting, I am glad they were brought to me!

The Gift of creativity - I am so lucky to have been blessed with my creativity, my ability to draw, sew and craft. I do not see myself as being special because of it, but lucky to have it. After all, I never did anything to get it, I was born that way. So I am humbled by whatever gave it to me, be it genetics, the universe or something more spiritual!

The wonders of Nature - Everyday I marvel at all of nature around me, I am in awe of the beauty and miracle of it. I love the seasons , the tall wise trees, clouds, all of it!

Music - Thank goodness for music, I need it for my soul! All types, any type, I love it all. I use music to soothe me, to uplift, to cry to, to laugh to, scream to, it serves just about every emotion and mood that I could possibly have. I think music touches something deep within us and connects us with something beautiful.

Fabric - Ooooh yes, I adore fabrics, all those colours and patterns! The different feel of them under my fingers. I actually feel on a kind of high sometimes when I see them all together, dancing about in front of my eyes like sweets in a candy shop!

The blogs that I would like this award to go to are:

At home with Mel mel
Coco Rose
Lissy Lou and the two little boys
Little blue door
My vintage party
Joshy and Belle


Like I say I don't like choosing, but I think eventually all the blogs I follow will get one off me! After all, I follow them because I like them!

Sorry for a rambling post today! I hear shouts of, what do you mean today? Hee hee, but I only post once a week though don't I?  I don't feel on form at all today, I am worrying it is a bit miserable, so if it is, sorry! Will try to do better next week!

Have a wonderful wistful weekend everyone!
Suzie. xxx :)

44 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie
    I love your posts they're so full of memories and nostalgic, they make me think of slightly yellow photos of happy relative I used to look at with my nan! hope your feeling better now, im feeling achy and sneezy, oh no! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Suzie, now I have a tear in my eye!
    The feeling of ‘it seems like forever ago one day then like yesterday another day’ is so very true.
    Sorry to hear of your loss and wonderful to read about your parents;
    “Arabella Teapot” How fabulous! What a lady she must have been.
    Brilliant picture of your ‘paint gate’.
    Your Dad sounds lovely. My Dad was also a Dad who vanished into the garage! Heh he! Aren’t they funny creatures? Your Dads last words to you were perfect. I remember my Mum’s; “Night Night, Love” the night before she lost the power of speech.
    I loved looking at your pictures and I can relate to the passion you feel for your parents being so wonderful.
    The finished stocking is lovely, as is your list of ‘soul bathers’ :)
    Thanks for another heartwarming and inspiring post.
    Get well soon, Suzie!
    Mucho nice stuff,
    Lucy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely post...two freaky coincidences, my mother was a teacher and i am told loved by everyone that ever met her. she died at the age of 39 when i was not quite 4 years old and the reason i myself am a teacher. and my dad thinks that he has invented perpetual motion too! he is still alive and kicking and i know his secret and i am sure it would work:)
    i have many 'totems' for my loved ones that have passed and often talk to them. i should do a post about it one day.
    thank you for the award i will post about it as soon as i get the chance
    smooches for a great weekend
    %*_*% rosey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzie, Thankyou so much for your comment and your award! It has really boosted me to think that someone thinks that what I say is worth listening to! Having stumbled into this blogging world, it has been amazing to meet such truly lovely people, who have the same passions as you, have amazing talents to share, it really has made brought me out of a bad year! Take care and hugs Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzie. Have stumbled across your blog and love the little owls in the background!

    This was a lovely post and thank you for sharing your memories of your parents with other people in the blogosphere. I love the picture on the beach, can you imagine someone going in a shirt, tie and jacket nowadays?!

    The stocking is beautiful. I'm a little cross stitcher myself, not on your level, but just enjoy doing little cards and projects here and there. I'm hoping to get a friend to teach me how to crochet soon although I get the feeling it's going to require patience on my part which has never been my strong point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post about your parents!

    Have a fabulous weekend,

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely tribute to your parents. That was most beautiful, Suzie. Sorry to hear you have come down with the nasty plague spreading about...my poor husband has it now, too. Just a wee gift I gave him (oops!). On a happier note, congrats on your blog awards and congrats to those you have chosen to honor for their blogs as well! Hope you are on the mend, soon! Sincerely, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was lovely, Suzie, I started to feel like I knew your parents and you certainly conveyed how special they were. Your words are a fitting tribute.
    Loving the stocking (can't believe I am working on stockings myself and bought my first xmas pressies today!), the little fairies/imps are just beautiful. Look forward to seeing what you come up with next...
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh girly I could sit and read for hours your ramblings and memories. My dad too died at age 65 or heart disease and my mom at age 62 of a blood disorder and a broken heart. I can relate and too have so many quirky fun and sad too memories of them. tis good for the soul to share them I think. Isn't it funny that the older we get the more we seem to recall the things about them. And amazingly understand ourselves more because of it! Your crochet............well what can I say. Just keep on keeping on and don't get discouraged. The stocking is an absolute jewel though and your drawings ********* like I told you...they need to be published!

    Oh Suzy girl, you have become such a delight to me! Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, I enjoyed reading about your parents! How wonderful they sounded. It is such a valuable thing to have warm and loving parents. It serves one well throughout a long, long life. What great photographs of them as well. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely post and with the lurgy too ! Get well soon xx The stocking is so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post. Your memories are precious. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. Also, thank you for praying for me. I feel good today! PTL! Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzie, I always look forward to reading your posts and this one was lovely. Your Christmas stocking is beautiful and so different to anything you would usually see. Have a great weekend.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are feeling better, Suzie. I love the tribute to your parents. What lovely people they were and gives much insight as to why you are the classic and unique lady that you are.

    Love how the stocking turned out. It will look magnificent hung with trinkets and candies dripping out of the top. Yet again I'm in awe of your talents. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post! I love the photo of your parents together on the beach, its beautiful! ANd love the memories that you shared! THe stocking is fabulous, good job you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful memories you have shared. That's so special. You sure did have wonderful parents!

    Your crochet is very lovely. Love the wool or is it cotton? I'm sure with a bit of practise there is a blanket in you somewhere. Keep going! Oh very nice stocking as well and the heart is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi little angel, thank you for sharing with us such lovely memories of your extraordinary parents! Take care and have a fabulous weekend!
    ..Forgot to say congratrulations on your well deserved awards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky little Naomi, I hope she treasure that stocking for the rest of her days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely tribute to your parents, thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all your lovely comments! Carol, thanks for visiting, I have tryed to find you but I can't, otherwise I would visit you! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for that lovely post, Suzie. You really deserve those awards. You may know my mum is very ill, back in the UK, and that my blog is one way that I try to give her something cheerful to look at each day (or nearly every day, anyway). Like your parents, she is so brave, cheerful and humerous about her condition, and my dad is great. So thanks too for all your visits to my blog, because seeing the way I've made friends in blogland is another thing which really cheers my mum.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the award Suzie!!

    A lovely packed post - great read.

    Hope your feeling better now xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loed reading your blog.
    My dad was 77 last Thursday he had a heart op 3years ago and just had a mini stroke, mum died in 2003 just before her 70th birthday. I miss her dreadfully...I speak to her when no-one is looking!
    That Christms stocking is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so blessed to have had two loving parents; I loved reading about them and their precious ways. Hugs to you as you are feeling rather punky right now.

    With the Red Shoes of Kansas,
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi
    Just found your blog and love the way you are so open about everything...and the look of the blog is terrific too. I live in the north of the UK as well, and have just had the dreaded bug that seems to have hit everyone. Have been up half the night coughing!!

    My mum is dying just now, and I think when she goes my dady will be just behind her. They have been together 59 years and I can't imagine how he will cope without her. Very sad for all of us.

    If you want to contact me I would love to hear from you :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sara I would love to reply to you, but When I click on your name, there is no information for me to go on. If you do come back and read this, please leave some way for me to get in touch, as I would love to! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there, so sorry you missed out on the Preston Vintage fair,will send you details of the next one, in the North-West!Love your post great trip down memory lane, so fun! Sharon xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh thats just such a lovely tribute to your parents, Suzie. I can only hope my children will recall me and my husband with just as many fond mememories.

    A truly uplifting and loving post. Hope you are feeling better. And congrats on your other award too!



    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh Suzie I was so chuffed to find your lovely blog not only because you have lots of owls but are also in Lancashire! I spotted you on My Passport to Style so I've found two fellow Lancashire lasses in a week which is a real treat :-) Kisses Kitty x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Suzie,

    I love owls so it's a no brainer that I love your blog! hehe

    Sorry you have a cold....I hate that spaced out feeling with a cold that is..hehe I think I can get spaced out in life at times too being completely well!

    Congrats on your blog awards..it's so much fun to receive them. And what a wonderful life review of you mom and dad..that is so nice. Any yes, it perfectly fine to talk to them even now!

    Have a wonderful day and do drop by sometimes...I'd love for you to visit.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Suzie, how glamorous those days were! Your parents looked like movie stars. I love how you write about the past. I feel that there are so many stories of all these generations before us that are left untold, mainly because they are so ordinary. The ordinariness of them though, is what makes them so extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzie. Pop over to The Hen House for an award xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Angie, I know! I took my Dad's cousin to hospital yesterday, she is 80. I was struck by the fact that all the family who are left now to tell their history are dwindling. I only have a few left! I literally mean about 3! I thought now is the time to ask any question s I have, after that it is too late! You are so right, the ordinariness is extroadinary! Suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a really lovely post about your parents ! Thankyou so much for sharing it , take care .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Suzie, I found you through bad Penny & just want to say that was such a wonderful post, a lovely tribute to your parents. Also I must add that you are so talented, & have a lovely blog!!
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great post - it has been so interesting to read about your parents, what a deserving tribute to them both. Also love the drawing of your coat painting expertise! Hope you're much, much better now. Best wishes. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your blog is charming and thank you for visiting me so that I could visit you! I will add you to my sidebar of blog buddies because, if I may, I would love to come back again :o)

    Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dearest Suzie,
    I read through your whole blog and loved getting to know you. I lost both of my parents when they were in their 60's and I recently posted about them in my blog Once Upon a Fairyland (side bar, my home-Once Upon a Fairyland). I so appreciate your variety of thoughts. You are a blessing. Good night from an October night in Washington State.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dearst Suzie,
    Thank you for coming to NOWHERE; I don't know if you visited my primary blog or those of my partners in NOWHERE, but all the same, I want to welcome you! As I read your blog, we have much in common; my beloved parents died 22 years ago, both of cancer, within two weeks of each other. You are creative and love the cottage life as I do. I really hope you are able to visit us again and also visit Castles Crowns and Cottages. Have a magical day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Susie,
    thank you so much for including me in your awards, that was really lovely of you! hope you have a nice few days, i love reading your posts! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. i tried i really did...dont hate me
    %*_*% rosey
    http://agapanthasandgoldsworthy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Phew, what a beautiful emotional post. Doesn't need anymore words x

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a lovely post about your parents. Quite lovely...Pam

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am very late in my post here! thankyou so much for giving me an award, it really means so much to know you are reading my blog!! Your blog is just beautiful!
    I really enjoyed reading about your parents, they seemed to be lovely people and reminded me of my Mum and Dad too. My parents were 63 & 65 when they died, and they both had cancer. Somedays I really feel it hasnt got any easier to live without them despite the years creeping by. There are still many wonderful things to celebrate in life, I just wish they were here to share it!
    Thanks again Suzie xx
    Andrea@Cloudbusting

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)