Friday 12 February 2010

Valentines Day! Can you remember your first love?

Ahhh, Valentine's Day! Love is in the air!

 
One of my cross stitch designs!

 It is only a few days ago that it was 26 years since I met my husband George. Where did you meet him, people often ask me. Was it at a pub? At a family do, or a friend's? Or was it at the ideal place to meet your future partner (according to my Mother's advice!!!), at the library!? No, it was not..... It was in fact in a car-park. I know ... how romantic! ahhhh!

Ahhh somebody loves me!

 
Bertie!

Do you remember your first love? I most certainly do remember the mix of torture and love! I do believe being in love (or infatuated, Mum's words again!) is akin to mental derangement!! You can't eat, or sleep and the object of your attention, said spotty boy, has taken possession of your mind like a whirling devil that will not get out of your head! Your head is crammed full of this obsession, until you think you can see him everywhere and when you do.. legs go to jelly, your heart skips a beat and you feel slightly eurthoric!


Ah, my first love was 3 years older than me, I was fifteen , and by todays standards I was very innocent and naive. I day-dreamed constantly of what the first kiss would be like and how it would be to go out with him. Oh yes, in my head it was going to be perfect, he would be my knight in shining armour, and with his magic sword he would cut through my terrible shyness  to uncage and free my true spirit and personality.

At last! He asked me to go to his works do with him. Panic! Panic!, "Mum what can I wear to such a grown-up function, and what about my feet???"  No I haven't got some terrible foot odour! You see, he was so short! I am not over tall at just under 5' 4", but he was shorter than me! Yes, I do wonder now, how he, the knight ever got on that snorting steed!  Don't worry says Mum, we will go shopping! And shopping we went! My lovely Mum bought me a gorgeous long black velvet dress, very simple with a princess bodice, and we searched and searched for some flat shoes that were suitable.



The big much dreamed of night finally arrived, and he pulled up in his mini to whisk me away in his strong and confident arms. What fun we would have! .....What fun?    No really, what fun? ........Errrrr none!

It turned out that he was as painfully shy as I was, and all the way to the venue (which started to feel like the longest journey of my life!) not a word was spoken. At the dance, the conversation really began to flow. "Would you like a drink" ... "yes please"... "thank you".  What witty company we were! On the way back, I desparately tryed to look interesting, but failed miserably. I kept thinking to myself, "say something, for gawds sake act like you have a brain!"  We pulled into my driveway, he leaned towards me. Oh my goodness I thought, the kiss! The kiss is surely on its way. He hasn't gone off me after all, my shy boringness has not put him off!  He looked at me, tilting his head, he gave a small peck, and then just as he was about to deliver the much longed for kiss.......I ducked! Yes, you heard me right, I ducked right out of the way!  He said goodbye, I said goodbye. then trying so hard to keep my decorum I walked into the house, shut the door behind me and then burst into tears, ran upstairs and cryed myself to sleep! I felt such a fool! It had turned out to be a painful experience and in no way did the evening match all those old romantic films that I loved so much, such as Doris Day and Cary grant!



Years later I bumped into him, I nearly walked past, not recognising him at all. After I had finished talking to him and was walking away, I really could not see what I had seen in him at all!

Was your first love a wonderful experience or a painful affair?  Is anyone doing anything exciting for Valentine's Day?  Do you get flowers and roses, or nothing at all!!! We don't get each other anything, but we will have a special meal in. Any excuse for a celebration hey!  You bet!

One thing that I don't love is doing the ironing! So Look what I bought to entice myself to the board.....

 

Gosh! It does make me feel much better about the ironing ...... A bit of an unashamed pretty extravagance, a Cath Kidston ironing board cover, but it was part of my birthday money, so....!



I have been busy trying it out, once I had climbed to the top of  Ironing Mountain that is!


Anyone care for a sweet? No not you Ralph! Look at that beautiful big black nose!



 Have a wonderful weekend all you lovely Peeps!  If you are doing anything nice for Valentine's,  have a lovey dovey time! Thank you to all of you too for taking time to visit me and leave all those wonderful comments, I really, really enjoy reading them all!

Oooooh something else is happening this weekend too! Happy Birthday Penny for Sunday! Hope it is a lovely, lovely day for you! xxxxx

Lots of love to you all, Suzie xxx :)

40 comments:

  1. I love the ironing board cover, I hope it helps with the ironing mountain, if it does that I may need one too!!!

    I married my first love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzie! Thank you for sharing your lovely memories in your own special way...a car park is not too bad...I met my 1st love at the swimming pool, I was a very sporty girl at that time!
    Enjoy the weekend and many many Valentine's Day wishes to you and George!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story about your first love. My first 'love' was when i was 5!!! i loved him for years....
    my 'real' first love has to be my husband...we have known each other since we were 16/17.

    love the ironing board, i need a new one too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Suzie I'm grinning away like a fool - what a lovely post. You were very brave to go on a date at fifteen - I was so terribly shy it never happened but I did play kiss chase at Primary school !

    Love your stitcherie especially her stripey socks and all your hearts are so pretty. I might have to invest in a pretty ironing board cover as I have given up ironing completely !

    Thanks for your birthday wishes, we are going to my favourite of all local places Heingistbury Head, for a family walk and a pub supper out - as long as I can get rid of this bug !

    Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a story lots of us could identify with, I should think. I remember my first Valentine's card, from a boy I had truly loved since the age of 11. He sent it three, or maybe four years later, and finally confirmed what I'd been dreaming of all that time! For a teenaged relationship, it then went on to last a long time, but to be honest it was never going to turn into an adult relationship. It's so hard to underdstand that when you're young...

    So this year, Ben and I will be celebrating what must be our 23rd Valentine's Day! I still occasionally dream that I married the other one, and wake up so relieved to discover I actually chose the right one!

    Have a lovely Valentine's Day yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow very extravagent ironing board cover, but no end of lovliness could ever persuade me that ironing is nice! As for Valentines, unfortunately I have no romantic stories or lost loves. Sorry to put a damper on it but I think I am yet to find the right person and at my age probably never will! But to all those romantics have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. Thankyou for sharing your lovely story.
    Your stitchery is beautiful as too is your ironing board cover. Good luck with the mountain.
    Have a jolly weekend.
    Love Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post. I would never want to go back to those teenage years. My first love came along when I was ten. He was in my class at school. We'd both been off school at the same time with chicken pox. When we found this out, we decided there was nothing else to do but fall in love! It ended when our teacher eventually found out and teased us so mercilessly in front of the rest of the class, I don't think we ever spoke to each other from that day. :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Darlin girl, Oh what a funny tale. What memories that brings back about adolesence and the very raging hormonal and unsettling years they were. So glad we all made it through them huh. I have had so many "true" loves in the beginning .................. but now at my age I find myself falling head over heels in love more and more each day with hubbby. Being away from him has made my heart grow fonder indeed and his two and in fact the messages h we send to each other every morning reminds my daughter of school children in love for the first time. So I don't know what has happened to us, but it is awesome and I hope it never changes. I posted his picture a few days ago and look at him several times ago and swoon. See what I mean? I'm hopeless. teehee Luv you girl, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aah I remember my first love, although I think your Mum would be right in calling it an infatuation! Didn't end so well in the end, turned out he wasn't a particularly nice person, very insecure and in turn did all he could to make me insecure, not a nice thing to do to a girl of 16!

    Since then I've picked myself up and dusted myself down and hopefully I'm on the right track now!

    Have a lovely valentines day - I'd love to give a card to Ralph, I love that black nose!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey suzie!
    the first time I told my "Love" that I loved him was in a car park, so there must something in it!!
    I adore the photo with your doggies nose sniffing at the sweets !!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this lovely post about your first love.
    I can't believe you've spent birthday money on a iron board cover. No matter how pretty it looks, ironing sucks :-) Oh well, I would have bought DVDs to watch while ironing :-)
    Anyway, happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for telling us that story, how lovely.
    Ironing board cover is gorgeous.

    Hugs RosieP x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely story Suzie!!! I agree when you see your first love again you definitely cannot understand what you saw in them!!! Mind you i have been out of the dating game for over 40 years - sound bad eh!!! I met my husband when I was 16 and we are still together - I am 57 now!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that the trick? A Cath ironing board cover? If that will help me iron more I will have to buy one on my next visit! And your story...oh gosh, I had a date exactly like that last summer, it was just painful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I prefer to forget my early loves! We don't do anything special for Valentine's day - all a bit too commercialized for me - but it's a sign of strength in the relationship for us, I think, that it doesn't need affirming by spending money on each other. But I have to say, when I first met my husband very many years ago I was not at all impressed - I changed my mind six months later, though!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet post...and yes, I remember my first 'love'....long long ago! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend! I love your ironing board cover. that's not my favorite chore either, but making it so pretty might help! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it...You make me laugh. If the two of us could ever take a stroll down Park Avenue everyone would shake their heads and say..."What got into those two?" Between your life and mine we could write a love story of ducking for kisses and feeding the ducks in Fairyland.
    My first love was met on ICE...Yep, in an ice arena...then to his parents cabin...not such a good story. Been there and done that and never again..Thanking the stars I never married whatever his name was. Then there was Bill, Mike, Larry the hippie and a far away Danish man...ooo...la...la...that one I saw the STARS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Suzie! What a pretty post, as always. :) I DO remember my first love. I have wondered what my life would be like had we stayed together. But I realize now how VERY lucky I am to have met the man I did marry. He's my best friend, my parter in all things, and THE love of my life.
    Hope you enjoy a most lovely Valentine weekend (for it celebrates friendship as well!), dearest friend.
    ♥♥♥Theresa♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I met my husband when I was 14 in a car park! He went down on one knee and proposed on my 16th birthday, we married a year later....That was the first and last romantic thing he ever did!!!!
    Valentines day.....whats that?! xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Suzie,
    Love to read your story and aren't we all big dreamers when we are a teenager in love? :)
    Wish you a wonderful Valentine's day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Suzie, thanks for sharing your lovely story, I have enjoyed catching up with your blog again. I love your ironing board cover, the design is really pretty, I am not not sure it could convert me to enjoying ironing though.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely brilliant post, I really enjoyed reading about your painful first love. I was an early starter with a boyfriend at 9 that lasted until I was about 16! I met my hubby when I was 17 and we've been together now 30 years this year! We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day either, every day is lovely dovey. We do the same as you, a nice meal (usually out, but this year indoors with some romantic candles)

    You should take a tip out of my book. I never iron anything (except Tyvek and bondaweb!!!). I have two irons and the textile one definitely comes out more often!!!

    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the ironing board cover! but don't like ironing!! thanks for sharing your story, very nice story.Reminds me of the past!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a "love"ly post!

    Have a great weekend

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmm shy, awkward, embarrassing first love story yep been there. Ahh those painful teenage years. Fortunately my first real love is now my husband and I so totally love him. Thanks for the great story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope your weekend and Valentines are as lovely and sweet as you are dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi: Love your sweet story. I want to tell you I purchased a pretty ironing board cover, it did not help me at all, sorry. Have a great Valintine's Day. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  29. :O) Loved your first love story, it is nice your shared it with us!
    I have to say that mine belonged to the second group... the painful one! I prefer to don't remember about him! Good that I learned to make better choices after that! :O))))
    Have a great Valentine's day Suzie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My first love was when I was about 14 and he was my middle brothers friend... 7 years older than me and when he became single I was so giddy with excitement as he had noticed me... however he went out with my best friend and I was heart broken... as it turns out my brother told him "touch my sister and your dead!" so at least I know it wasn't anything personal... just self preservation... lol

    have a happy valentines and enjoy your meal...

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  31. You already know my first (and only!!!) love - Dave! We met at a drama group at evening classes, and like you and George, have been together 26 years!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Suzie thank you for my birthday card and the adorable drawing - I love it. There is something for you on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tee-hee! To be honest Suzie, I would rather not remember my first date! Looking into the future with my husband is so much better.

    I abhor ironing as well. Hate it! Which is why I only ever buy knitting cotton that will sort themselves out upon wearing, haha!

    Hope you have had a nice weekend.
    -Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  34. such a cute post and now I am reminiscing in my head about my first love and also thinking "what did I see in him" lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful story. It doesn't take long to realise that the movies are just the movies! I was 14, sooo long ago. Do not relish my daughter's first serious crush, she's 11 and seems unaffected so far. xx Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh bless! Young love is so complicated. I hope you don't mind but your story did make me smile, I guess it's OK to smile now but I guess at the time you were devastated and I would've been crying with you.

    Seriously love those metal shabby chic type hearts - do you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Suzie....You have been tagged! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a wonderful post-I just finished walking down my own memory lane after reading this. First love-so sweet and so agonizing at the time! Now after 18 years of marriage (to a different fella) a lovely ironing board cover is pretty darn special--but then I wouldn't want to be forever on an emotional roller coaster either:) The way to my heart then and now though has always been CHOCOLATE!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)