Friday 14 August 2009

Mad dogs and Englishmen!

Hello Peeps,

First of all before I get to my post, I would like to thank all of you who have supported me and followed my blog so far, I really do appreciate it, so lots of hugs to you all!

Last week I told you that I was going to spend my weekend smiling at everybody. Well I certainly did, and got very mixed reactions! Some people blanked me out, some looked at the floor, some looked at me like I had lost my mind! Thankfully though, the majority of them smiled warmly back at me. So there really are lots of smiley people out there!

Which leads me very nicely to my Friday blog.



A mad dog!!! My Old English sheepdog, Ralph!


Being a Brit myself and being English I got to thinking about our reputation for being a bit eccentric! One of my childhood dreams, besides becoming an artist and a Beatnik, was to become completely eccentric as I got into my dotage. Not got completely there yet, but there's still plenty of time, I hope.

I love individualism, and I suppose eccentricity is an off shoot, after all, it is a self expression. In some cases you could even call it creativity, art. It is a beautiful part of the human experience, being able to express through colour, art, clothes. Art appears in many forms after all.

This is one of a few of my stitcheries of eccentric ladies!



I love this book! It is a poem, and the title says it all really, but why do we have to wait until we are old? My husband, George, bought this for me, which speaks volumes! He is obviously sat watching me, looking out for signs!!




An example of an eccentric English person! I particularily Love Quentin Crisp, who has sadly now left the planet, His observations on life were so colourful, warm and funny. when asked about housework and dusting his reply (not sure of the exact words!) was that after
2 years (I think 2!) the dust doesn't get any worse!






















Eccentricity is not just for famous people though!




















So, all in all I would love to see more eccentrics (especially smiling ones!!!!) But I wonder what Queen Victoria would have thought, would she be amooosed?




One of my amoosing stitcheries!

You will be please to hear that Pumpkin is still happy in the veggie patch, and I think I detect a slight change in colour. either that or he/she is blushing! Maybe there will be enough change next week to warrent a photo. Carolyn, A Jersey Girl, wild gypsy art ( click on this! ) has made a suggestion for a name for Pumpkin, it is Soul Man, which is a wonderful one! Carolyn has become a friend, and we have had some wonderful chats on facebook! I have made some wonderful friends on the web, including Christine, Colette and many more, you know who you are!!!

So until next week, get on those polka dot wellies, Easter bonnets and stripey stockings and be happy! And in good old fashioned Englishness I will say Ta Ta Old Beans! Suzie X.

27 comments:

  1. Eccentricity
    why that is my moto for life. The more I can be just that the happier I am honestly.
    And I love your doggy.
    thank you doll for the comments..
    Cheers
    Brittany
    http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany thank you for reading! good to hear that you love eccentricity too! Thats one of my dogs, the others may get their muggs on here too soon! Suzie. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog - again! I love the pic of the lady with all the gnomes - I wanted gnomes in our garden, but Dave won't have any of it - he thinks they're creepy and that I'm off my head! (Nothing new there!) Ralph is such a cutie - is he as mad as Dylan? No, on second thoughts, I think Dylan was a one-off!
    Love to you and yours,
    Ro
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ro! Good to see you on here again! No Ralph is no way as mad as Dylan, I can honestly say that i have never had another Dylan! bless him, but I still miss him!!!
    love to you too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    If it wasn't for eccentrics we wouldn't have the british fashion talent we currently have in this country!!!! A big thumbs up to eccentricity.I love the image of Quentin and his many hats, great post, thanks for sharing and your comments on my site.Lovely to have a connection with a Lancashire blogger! S xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Passport to style! I know, I studied fashion and love anything 1920's. So true! we wouldn't have the talent we have now without eccentricity! I will keep popping back to your blog! xx Suzie X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful cow - that's my favourite pic out of all your great photos (oh, maybe your lovely dog, too...)

    We've been having lots of discussions about eccentricity in my house at the moment - we are somewhat eccentric, but have never tried very hard at it, which I think some people do. My son's best friend is truly eccentric, and they do make a very odd pair as the traipse around school together.

    The French don't admire eccentricity in ordinary people, although they make exceptions for the very wealthy and the English (thank goodness, at least on one count). However, our French neighbours have just gone camping at one of our favourite, deeply eccentric, campsites, so I do hope they are enjoying themselves with the labyrinth, the ramchackle bikes and the rundown freezers....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful comment Floss!!! It is just brilliant that you are carrying on the English eccentrity over there!!! I really want to know which campsites you use too!
    Suzie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for getting back to me on my blog! Your lovely dog is very like the huge puppy in my story - it was so extraordinary to find a (young) Old English Sheepdog at the top of a very hot French hill.

    The eccentric campsite is La Pinede, at Sanguinet, Les Landes, to the south of Bordeaux. Les Landes is an incredible region of sand, planted over with pines, and there are warm lakes trapped in the ancient sand dunes where rivers can no longer reach the sea. I can't believe that we don't know about this area back in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ! According to a friend I am re-visiting my inner Bad Penny who has been dormant since my mid twenties - now in my mid forties ...she's back !

    Purple doesn't suit me but I love the poem .

    Thx for popping by my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog says it all. If it weren't for eccentrics life would be so dull...unfortunately most only get the good title because they're rich...the rest get the "crazy" label. So unfair because when it comes down to it, it's the other way around.

    I LOVE Ralph, he is so adorable! I always wanted a English sheep dog when I was little because I loved the one on the show "Nanny and the Professor"
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes you are right Kay! Most people just get labelled crazy! Ive had 4 Old English Sheepdogs altogether, I love them! Thanks for you post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there fellow Lancashire Lady! :D Cheers for stopping by my blog today with your kind words. I look forward to reading what you get up to.
    Lucy. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never quite know where to reply, on the same post or post to post! Oh well here goes...

    Well I never Mrs Thornton....I'm in Garstang! It really is a small world. Just been reading through your blog and noticed your Pink ribbon pic. My sister was diagnosed in June. She starts her Radio Therapy on Sept 15th. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Suzie that's very kind. I will let you know if I need an ear.x Until then see you in blogland! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Suzie! I'm repaying the visit and I'm so glad I did, because I find your blog just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh thank you Deb, you are so kind! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see you are following me so I thought I would come and visit you. And I'm so glad I did! Happy smiles right back at you too :) Why don't people smile more often? I like to smile when someone walks by, some of them don't even look at me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Sarah! Big smiles back to you too! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Just stopping by for the first time from your Etsy Cottage Style. Don't have much time to visit now but will return soon to see your fun posts and get to know you better :)
    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Suzie!
    I've always loved Nova Scotia and have often thought about moving there when I'm old and grey! LOL! Lucky you to have lived there as a child! My sister-in-law is from Nova Scotia as well and my nephews spend endless days on the beach at their grandparents cottage. I'm sure they will have wonderful memories of this when they get older. Love your post about eccentricity! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Bella, I'm so happy that you visited! Yes very happy memories of Canada! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great dog... my daughter (pre-vet) would love it! and these cute owls too! And what a cute little blog you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you, I have given a new look, as I feel this looks much more cheerful and goe with my Owl tree! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Suzie, Thanks for visiting. What a happy and cheery blog you have. Do you ever do your cross stitch from pattern books? I have hundreds I never use and would like to re-home! Let me know if you might be interested. Hugs, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  26. I design all the cross stitch on my shop and on here myself. I used buy kits, but now I just don't have time, as I am always sewing one of my own designs!! Thanks for the offer though it is really kind! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)