Wednesday 26 August 2009

Back to school with Autumn lurking in the wings

Hello and welcome!



Another week has flown by and the summer is quickly drawing to a close. Some people are enjoying the last remnants of this sunny ( ha, ha!) season, taking their annual hols, visiting the beach and cramming in a well deserved holiday.
























Although it is still August and children still have sand in their shoes and ice cream on their chins, I have noticed a distinct 'feel' of Autumn. You know that feeling, although I personally find it hard to put into words, perhaps you all can come up with some words to describe it? To me, it is almost a primeval sense, a deep connection with nature, a feeling which is unique to this special time of the year. Something in the air, a change.... I love it! It brings with it a promise of the beautiful colours of falling leaves, bonfires, dark cosy nights by the fire all cuddled up and cosy indoors. Yes, there is something magical about this time of the year when you start to notice tiny signs that the lovely earthy season is on it's way.



Berries on the hedgerows.




Some children may have already gone back to school, but where I live they are all getting ready to go back. New uniforms are being tryed on, lunch boxes being chosen, pencils, pens and sharpeners being placed into their new cases. A new start!

Two views of a painting I did.



I always had mixed feelings when my children went back to school. On the one hand I missed them, but on the other it was always nice to have some time to myself again and get back to being able to sew, draw and create!
This time of the year, once they are back at school, there always seems to be a flurry of activities, with Harvest Festival, Bonfire night and Halloween too, so much so that before you can blink, Christmas swoops in!


And speaking of Halloween! Here, plonked right in the middle of my post, is a quick update of Pumpkin. As you can see He/she is turning orange in my veggie patch, but not very big yet though! :(




Strange, as Autumn comes tip-toeing up behind Summer, you wouldn't be blamed for thinking that it heralds the aging of the year. Yet, the feeling that I sense as I go out into my garden, is not one of aging or withering, but one of new beginnings!
At this time of year, if we look about us, we can see miracle upon miracle unfurling before our eyes ...... changes happening all around us.

My apple trees have plump fruits, and the birds have left me with some blackberries ready for the kitchen and everyday I find new reasons to be grateful for nature and her generous gifts.

























Nature's generous gifts!





















Now, I thought to my self, what shall I do with these lovely beauties? Hmmmm.......................




A yummy scrumptious (hopefully! she added modestly) apple, pear and blackberry pie with a swirl of honey and oodles of cinnamin! The strange bits on the pastry were supposed to be an apple shape with leaves! Hmmm, oh well, as long as it tastes ok hey?!

Yes, I think Autumn has nearly caught up with Summer now, and once again Summer will have to surrender to the ever changing circle of life, just as we do! Oh, but what a wonderful time - to experience the last drops of Summer dotted with the first speckles of earthy Autumn. I always feel that our lives are just like the seasons, lively and youthful spring, young but maturing Summer, Mellowing Autumn (we even refer to the Autumn of our years) and then Old age - Old Man winter.

As do the seasons change, so does life. Nothing remains the same. You could sit in a room and not take part in anything, and everything would change just the same! Change can not be stopped, so I for one, am just going to enjoy every bit of it! I might not have been here today, due to illness, and so everyday and every change is a bonus to me. I breathe life in with a gusto and a gratitude!



This sunflower is starting to fade, a bit like me!


Each day when I go to my mirror to brush my hair, I can not help but laugh at the changes which age and life have very kindly left on my face. It is very funny really! My face, that is!
I think I am Autumn! But I really don't mind, as I am just so happy to be here on earth, waiting to tuck into that pie! Yum!

So until I post again next Friday, I wish you all a very yummy weekend and week to come! Oh and yes, I will think about you all while I eat it!

Suzie. XXX :)

43 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Suzie, the little paintings of the children just warmed my heart. You have a wonderful talent in addition to your stitching. And the pie. ooh la la lookin good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Suzie. I love Autumn too & mum says she starts to come alive after the summer heat. There is a crispness in the air. I can't wait to see all the wonderful autumn colours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mizmollye and bad penny, It cheers me that you come and read my posts, it really does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. Very Autumnal here and I'm loving it too! I adore Autumn and Winter, for much of the reasons you mentioned.
    What beautiful paintings!
    My son starts school for the first time on September 9th, I'm going to miss him so much!
    Have a lovely weekend, Suzie.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you here again Lucy I hope school goes well for your son! It's so strange when they start school! X :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Suzie,

    what a beautiful post :-)

    this is Rianna's first year of school - she starts after the other kids, two weeks from monday - so we have a brand new uniform, new shoes, new bag, pencil case, new all round for us! A little bit scary, but also exciting! I will miss her very much, but like you say, much more time to be creative :-)

    I agree, autumn is definitely on the way... I think you can smell it coming (if that makes sense?!). The leaves have already started to fall from some trees here, we have been blackberry picking, (and found a few free apples on a tree in the park!), next thing will be conkers! And still my tomatoes are green... lol

    I think you are right, round and round the seasons go, we all get a little older, and there is nothing we can do about it! So we may as well make the most of every day we have :-)

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. What a lovely blog you have - love your stitcheries! ou are very talented x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post. And about one of my favourite seasons too! I used to think I was unusal for loving autumn and not minding to much about winter. Until I started blogging. So many people seem to feel the same. Most people I know go on and on about summer. Which can be nice. But I do hate it when its gets too hot.That sort of heat is not for me.

    I wrote a poem for my SIL wedding years ago. It was about marriage and I based it on the seasons. I dont have the poem now, as it was special just for her and her DH. I do love living in a country where you can really feel the change in seasons.

    Hope you have a great weekend and week.


    MBBx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pie looks delicious! I wish I could make pastry, but I can never roll it out properly! A neighbour has given me a load of victoria Plums off her tree, so maybe I should have another go at the pastry - failing that, there's always Plum Crumble I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and aren't I glad I came to visit you.

    I much prefer the Autumn, I find it so much more exciting and cosy with Halloween, Fireworks and of course Christmas!

    Your owls on your background are so cute.

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello lovely :)
    Your blog is delightful, full of so many things that I love! Your drawings/creations are splendid, and I so look forward to spending more time visiting...
    xo, Kali @ Poppy Lane

    p.s. thanks so much for popping over at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Autumn is definitely my favourite time of year... the change in the air, the smell of the harvest, flannelet sheets on the bed, kids back to school, the leaves changing, pumpkins, I could go on and on!

    Lovely post,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzie!
    It's nice to meet you!
    What a lovely post I've just read!
    Great blog makeover as I do love owls too!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our garden is over-running with produce now - it is a bit of a race to find ways of preserving it all for winter! I think it has been a good year for pumpkins - ours are ripening, too.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post! Loved it. And yes, we have lots in common that way. Thx for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Suzie,
    thank- you for my award, I nearly cried when I saw how beautiful and sweet it was, you are sooo talented, I will cherish it and it will be kept safe and close to my heart in my favourite bloggers section, after showing it off a little first,of course!This blog is so warm and toasty, thank-you for brightening my day and for all your lovely comments.Please let me know if you would like to exchange links. Sharon xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh thank you for giving me your award! You are an amazing artist, doesn't everyone want to be able to draw so well? I will enjoy seeing your artwork on my blog.

    Love that pie! We are just seeing the first few leaves pop open on our newly planted sunflower seeds, while yours are finishing. Hope we get them in the garden this year! I'm not good at planting out. Thanks for all your lovely photos and lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Suzie for the lovely Blog Award!
    I have it on my blog now if you want to have a peek. :o)

    Love your painting... AND... those berries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodness me! What a beautiful Autumn post! and to top that an award! THANKYOU SUZIE :D x

    I really empathise with many of the sentiments you expressed, aren't we lucky? Soon the first little clouds of woodsmoke will rise from the chimneys in the village and I will smile as this is a sure sign that the seasons have turned.

    I love the award, really pretty, thankyou again it is a new treasure!

    Hope you had a brilliant Bank Hols, Love Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! This post is really in tune with where we are, too. The first feel of Autumn is in the air and we have a staggered start back at school this week - me first for the teachers' meeting, then Son 2 as a new starter at Secondary School, then Son 1 as an old familiar there...

    Thanks so much for your award! When you left me the message I was in the thick of packing for Britanny and meeting my parents in law as they arrived from the UK, so now I'm back it's lovely to come over and accept your kind gift.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you very much for the award - it is very kind of you, and I am very grateful. I have been struggling to put it on my page, though - my computer is not playing ball. I will have to work on it!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for giving me your lovely award. I'm touched & delighted xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely post :-)your pictures are fab and the pie looks yummy!
    thank you for the award i will accept it with thanks its fab :-)
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Suzie,re link, it just means that if you have a links page on your buisness website, which is a simply a list of other businesses who relate to yours in someway.You pop my buisness name, My Passport to Style on there as a link back to my site.Inbound links to your site,push you up the search engine rankings.You should, if you control your own website have a function button which will enable you to create a link, you would insert http://www.mypassporttostyle.blogspot.com, then when people click on My Passport to Style, this it would take them to my homepage.I will put a link for your web buisness in the powder room, which is my links area.Hope this explains it. Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I know just what you mean... so much so that we have been to collect a concrete coal bunker that someone was throwing out... I must get the chimney sweep around and then it will be fire lighting time... I am also Autumn as a Leo the golden autumn colours suit me...

    I love your paintings by the way... reminds me of the illustrations in all the books I loved as a child... and still love to this day...

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you every one for your kind and wonderful comments, I really do love reading them, and each one means the world to me, and makes my heart smile! Suzie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. he he he...i like that you laugh at your own face...some of us have to laugh otherwise we would cry!! i will come back for the award on my days off. thanks for thinking of me.
    smooches rosey

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for stopping by my blog! What a lovely tribute to autumn. Enjoy your fall fruits and veggies, they look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hiya Suzie. Thanks ever so much, that's the most beautiful award I've ever seen! I shall add it to my sidebar now. How thoughtful of you and what a talented artist you are!
    Cheers ears! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Suzie! I've added my Beautiful Award to my sidebar with the appropriate link!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful post, Suzie! I LOVE the pie!

    I have an award for you on my blog, too, so come by and pick it up!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzie, thanks so much for the blog award, so lovely of you! I have just posted about it!

    Take care, Dolly x

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely post, its true that nature leaves us all with signs of time passing, but I think it softens us, I certainly feel softer as I age, both physically (I'm a bit plump) and inside. And thank you very much for the award and the thought behind it. It did make me smile, a little kindness goes a long way. I have added it to my blog with my yippee and thank you. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Autumn... scrunchy,rustling,whistling winds, showers and squirrels busy at work... gorgeous oranges and reds as I walk the dog and the leaves are changing,an abundance of hazel nuts on the trees...

    Your picture of the children going to school is totally amazing, one of my weaknesses is schooldays and I so love the way you have captured the feel here xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you all for leaving all these so wonderful comments, I love them ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely post ! I adore your artwork, very nostalgic. They remind me of the illustrations in the story books my nan used to have. Just lovely ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a lovely post. I love autumn its my favourite season too. I know what you mean about that feeling of something in the air, I've felt it this past week too. Your picture is beautiful, your a very clever lady. I hope you enjoyed your pie it looked scrummy. I'd also like to say thank you for the fairy dust award, I'll pop it on my blog in a bit.
    Take Care
    ((((hugs)))) Pixie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've just found your blog - i love it!!!
    can't wait to have a good look through it.

    LissyLou xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gosh!! i love your drawings and stiches!! you are so talented!!
    i love pixies and fairies so i think your blog will become a firm fave with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. i love your paintings, only a few days now before joshy starts school, i feel mixed between happy and sad!!
    i love autumn, i cant wait for walks through golden leaves and conkers! fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for always stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi , just found you , what a lovely blog .

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)