Friday 7 August 2009

Free grins here for smiling souls!

Hello!

They say what the world needs more of, is love. So true, but I think it also needs more smiles! Yes, lots and lots of smiles. In my humble opinion I think there should be a National Smile Day. On that day everyone who wishes to could smile as much as they like without the fear of looking silly. I personally like to smile as much as possible, even perhaps sometimes running the risk of looking like a simpleton!



A day when even those oh so miserable shop assistants, you know the ones I mean (!), have to smile at you, even dare I say it, acknowledge your presence when they are serving you! Don't you just ever want to tell them to try to be a bit friendlier and treat you with some care, sometimes it is as if you are completely invisible to them. Yes, well, on national smile day they would have to come to work with a smile. After all they are free.

A smile is a little parcel of kindness and joy, a beautiful gift to the world, that can cheer up a lonely person, make a sad person feel a little bit happier, make a grumps mouth twitch at the edges, a child giggle, or just warm up a strangers day. A smile is a bridge from one human heart to another. I know I always feel lighter, brighter and warmer inside when someone smiles at me, so I like to try to give some back, often!

Children give smiles out without judgement or conditions, they just give. Wouldn't it be wonderful if as adults we could keep some of that open heartedness. Have we forgotten to trust, become a little too suspicious, or maybe we just worry we will be rejected or made to feel silly. I try to see the world through the eyes of a child more often, or as often as I can do.



A smiling drawing of mine!


So this weekend I am going to smile at as many people as I can, and if i get funny looks, well so be it. In my life when things have been really hard and traumatic, and there have been a few (!), I have a method of trying to make myself feel better. I either do somthing really silly, if I'm not too down, or I smile! I do a great big cheesey grin, preferably in front of a mirror. Try it! I bet if you keep trying it, you will see how daft you look and laugh out loud! Believe it or not, I have read that the very act of smiling or false laughing releases endorphins (I think!) and actually really do make you feel a bit happier!

What would happen if everybody smiled at everyone else? Well for one thing the world would become a much happier place. So get out there and spread some joy people!



One of my stitchery hearts



PUMPKIN UPDATE!!!


I am pleased to tell you that my pumpkin is still growing happily in the vegetable patch, but there was no point taking another photo due to lack of any real change or growth.

There has been a suggestion for a name for pumpkin from my good friend Ro Jordan, who emailed me as she hasn't worked out how to comment on here yet. I think you need to open a google account Ro, I think you just have to type in your email and a password, I think!
I would love more comments, and thank you so much all of you who have commented so far, I LOVE reading them all!

Anyhow I digress! Ro's suggestion is Prosperity, which is a good name I think, better than Fred! In Feng shui a pumpkin symbolises prosperity. Thank you Ro!

So remember until next time, no sour grapes just big grins!!! You can bet I'm smiling right now as I write this! Yup, looking like a simpleton!!!

Mentioning my friend Ro again, recently she sent me a message that was so lovely it made my soul smile! I wish you all smiling souls!!! Suzie. X



Some sour grapes growing in my garden!!!
But never in my heart.

16 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you and am so happy to hear someone promoting smiling!!! Life has gotten so frenetic for everyone- taking a deep breath, making the decision to smile because it really does make you feel better and other people too is simply, great advice. Thanks for the post!
    :)
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Colette for you comment, and I am so glad you are a smiley person too!!! I love hearing your comments, LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it! Thanks for adding Prosperity to the suggestions! I love your blog page - it's so homey! Now I've joined up I'll have to start blogging - but it won't be about cross-stitch! I've called it WytchWood - that should be pretty self explanatory to all who know me!
    Blessings!
    Ro
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ro! I look forward to seeing your blog, will have a look, I'm sure knowing you, it will be great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Suz....I'm in PA for my 38th wedding anniversary and I hopped on my sister's computer to check what's up with all my FB friends. Couldn't help but check your latest blog posting...LOVE, Love, love your smiling child drawing...that put a smile on MY face.

    And yes, I agree that this nation is in desperate need of a National Smile Day. I worked for a time as a cashier and my grandma offered this bit of sage advice when I started work...If someone is missing their smile, give them one of yours :) Granny was so right...I had folks wait in line just so I could check them out...my ever present sense of humor apparently helped make their day and it made mine to feel like just my smile could make a difference!

    Now as to your ever growing pumpkin...I vote for Soul Man :) ... lol Will be back on facebook after the weekend...hope you and yours have an enjoyable weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn! first of all congratulations, and thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my post while you are away! I love your Granny's sage advice, its wonderful, it would make a wonderful stitchery saying....
    Soul man is a really good name for pumpkin, thanks! Have a wonderful time! Suzie! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smile and the world smiles with you - love this post dedicated to such a precious free gift A SMILE! I am with you should be a national smile day xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Dawn! I am happy to see that there are people out there who want more smiles. Please visit again and leave more comments if you wish, as I love reading peoples thoughts! Suzie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your thoughts about smiles - they made me smile! Having moved from England to France, I've noticed a major reduction in the number of smiles around, and I miss them. This is not because the French are grumpy or unwelcoming at all - we kiss all our friends and close neighbours whenever we meet, and I think that may be part of it. The English don't touch much, so express their pleasure to see each other with a smile. The French have less need for facial expression changes, as their body language says it all. That said, I am the nutty English lady who smiles at everyone in our town, and I generally get away with it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Floss for reading this post and your lovely comments! I love to here about the way differnent people are. Good for you too, being the nutty lady! I like it! Suzie. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seem to had lost the ability to spell in that last comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh it's good to smile - I love it ! I don't trust people who don't !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bad penny (love that name by the way)I just want to tickle people wo don't .... the grouches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make me smile! Thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog (for-the-love-of-pete) and I'm glad to have found you and your blog:)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving your blog.Your stitching is gorgeous and I'd happily hang your drawings on my walls.i love them :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and I read and appreciate every one of them. I always try to answer them, but if you don't get a response it will be because I couldn't find a link to you. Suzie. XXX :)